OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Copyediting, Layout and Proofreading skip

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Copyediting, Layout and Proofreading skip

Postby svillanueva » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:04 am

Hello,

in my journal we don't use the Copyed, Layout and Proofreading stages, I would like to know if there's any possibility to skip those steps with ojs. I currently do that by completing directly those stages as a Section Editor, clicking Initiate and then Complete. Is there any way to avoid these steps?

Thank you,

Sergi Villanueva.
svillanueva

Re: Copyediting, Layout and Proofreading skip

Postby jmacgreg » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:10 am

Hi Sergi,

If you upload articles with a user who is also an editor, you should have the option at the very end of the submission process to fast-track the submission to the end of the copyediting phase, thereby skipping all of the Section Editor/Reviewer steps.

In addition, it's not really necessary to actually complete most of those steps you mentioned. When a submission arrives, have the Editor "assign self" as Section Editor, and then you should be able to schedule the publication, upload a galley file, and publish without actually committing any of the other steps.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby svillanueva » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:04 am

That's ok James, thanks!
svillanueva

Postby svillanueva » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:59 am

I still have some serious problems in this step. I would like to publish an article without going to look for it in the directories. I mean, once the review process is over, i would like to skip the copyediting and publish directlty the reviewed version (or wait for a copyedited version of the author), and then publish them as a galley but avoiding the "browse" button, just taking the reviewed version (or the one copyedited by the author) and publishing it.

Thanks!

Sergi Villanueva.
svillanueva

Postby jmacgreg » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:00 am

Hi Sergi,

If I understand correctly, you want to take the review copy already in the system, and use it as a galley? I'm afraid that's just not the way the system works. The system assumes that the Reviewed version isn't something that's publishable online, ie. a PDF or HTML file, and that an actual layout process, no matter how small, has to be undertaken. It's a fairly reasonable set of checks, I think. I'm not entirely sure how your workflow works right now, but I would assume something like this would be the smoothest you could ask for:

User Submission Complete --> Assigned to SE (or self as Editor) --> Optionally use the Review Process --> upload HTML/PDF Galley --> Assign to Issue --> Publish

Please let me know if I'm misunderstanding anything.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Return to OJS Technical Support