OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

How to edit author's info

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

How to edit author's info

Postby eXcer » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:30 pm

Hi there again! :)

After submitting many articles to the archives, I've noticed that there are some duplicated authors, because in some articles there was more info about them than in others (for example, in some articles, the authors only placed the first and last name, but in other articles they've placed the middle names, so the systems "thinks" that are different people).

Is there any way to change this info or I have to edit manually the database?

Thanks in advance for any help! ;)
eXcer

Re: How to edit author's info

Postby jmacgreg » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:28 pm

Hi eXcer,

If you can log in as Journal Manager, you can use the Merge Users utility. Under Home --> User --> Journal Management, find the "Merge Users" link and go from there. You can check out "Journal Help" on the right for more substantial information on the Merge Users function.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby eXcer » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:56 am

Hi jmacgreg, thanks for the fast reply!

Perhaps I didn't explain myself clearly...

I submitted and published old articles (so they could be part of the archives), using the administrator account. I had to insert the articles one by one, filling the submit forms, but some articles were from the same authors (but in some articles they had less info about themselves), so I ended up having on the author's index a list of very similar authors (but in fact they're the same!), with little differences like the middle name or even the Institution they belong to.

So, the authors don't exist as users on the system, they're only names on the database associated with the articles.

My question is if there is any way to change this information on OJS or do I have to change them manually (like using PHPMyAdmin or something alike).

Thanks for the help!
eXcer

Postby jmacgreg » Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:13 pm

Hi eXcer,

OK, I understand now. Even after the article has been submitted and published, the article's metadata can still be modified using the OJS interface.

Log in as an editor, and go to Home --> User Home --> Editor and click "Archives" under the submissions heading. You'll then have a list of all your published articles.

Click on the article title whose author data you want to change;
Click the "Summary" link at the top of the Editing page;
Scroll down to Submission Metadata and click "Edit Metadata";
And change the author data you had entered previously to the correct entry.

You can also edit this information through phpMyadmin (or through the MySQL command line, of course); you'll find this author information stored in the 'article_authors' table.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby eXcer » Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:30 pm

Hi there, once again! :)

jmacgreg wrote:Log in as an editor, and go to Home --> User Home --> Editor and click "Archives" under the submissions heading. You'll then have a list of all your published articles.

Click on the article title whose author data you want to change;
Click the "Summary" link at the top of the Editing page;
Scroll down to Submission Metadata and click "Edit Metadata";
And change the author data you had entered previously to the correct entry.

Wow... while I was trying to follow your tip, you've found a problem on my server. When I click on the article I want to edit, it appears a blank page! :cry: What could be wrong? Any PHP problem? It happened in the URL path /editor/submissionEditing/7

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

P.S: I'm using OJS version 2.1.1.0, PHP 5.1.6 and MySQL 5.0.24a.
eXcer

Postby jmacgreg » Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:54 pm

Hi eXcer,

Check the first item in the FAQ (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2481&p=8651&hilit=blank+page#p8651), and let me know what you get.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby eXcer » Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:02 pm

Thanks for the fas reply James!

jmacgreg wrote:Check the first item in the FAQ (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2481&p=8651&hilit=blank+page#p8651), and let me know what you get.

I tried again editing an articles info and this time I had an output:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 4864 bytes) in /var/www/lib/smarty/Smarty_Compiler.class.php on line 2301

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 42 bytes) in /var/www/lib/adodb/adodb.inc.php on line 891

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 16 bytes) in /var/www/classes/session/SessionManager.inc.php on line 133

I have to change my server's memory_size on php.ini, right? ;)
eXcer

Postby jmacgreg » Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:09 pm

Hi eXcer,

I believe that's what you have to do -- you can search the forums for further details on increasing the php memory size. Actually, after you do that, try uploading a new css file as well, as your css file problems may actually be caused by this.

Let me know how it turns out on both counts,
James
jmacgreg

Postby eXcer » Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:18 pm

Hi there, one more time! :)

Finally I can see the page to change the metadata of the articles! Thanks for the help on this! ;)

jmacgreg wrote:Actually, after you do that, try uploading a new css file as well, as your css file problems may actually be caused by this.

About the updated CSS, I viewed the change I've made by clicking on the CSS direct link to the file (hurray!), but I can't the the visual changes... Perhaps I have made some mistake on the code, have to check it out!

Thanks for all the help, once again! Sorry for all the "trouble"! :oops:
eXcer

Return to OJS Technical Support