OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Mail server error

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Mail server error

Postby Owen » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:22 pm

I got an error message after I tried putting in a submission to a journal:

Warning: mail() [function.mail]: Failed to connect to mailserver at "localhost" port 25, verify your "SMTP" and "smtp_port" setting in php.ini or use ini_set() in C:\xampp\htdocs\ojs\classes\core\String.inc.php on line 155
Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at C:\xampp\htdocs\ojs\classes\core\String.inc.php:155) in C:\xampp\htdocs\ojs\classes\template\TemplateManager.inc.php on line 187

I didn't see anything in the OJS setup about mailserver setup; did I miss it or do I fiddle with php.ini as suggested in the error message? Do I need to do anything about the 2nd error?

Our mailserver is popper.rsnz.org which is on another PC (the setup is Windows)
Owen

Re: Mail server error

Postby asmecher » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:27 am

Hi Owen,

See the [smtp] section in config.inc.php; uncomment those lines and adjust them according to your setup.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby Owen » Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:00 am

Many thanks. Is there any reason why this isn't in the general OJS setup, or in the docs?
Owen

Postby asmecher » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:12 am

Hi Owen,

Our emphasis with the installer has been to keep things simple. Typically, servers are configured to have a working local MTA, so the [smtp] section in the configuration file isn't necessary, and like many other secondary features, the mailing options are not included in the installer.

The configuration file is fairly well-documented, so rather than duplicating that text elsewhere, we simply recommend in docs/README that you review config.inc.php for further options.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby Owen » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:47 am

Thanks. I was just looking in the OJS in an hour docs, so I shall look elsewhere!
Owen

Return to OJS Technical Support