OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Completely lost ...

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Completely lost ...

Postby Brandon » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:28 pm

Before I started this project for my graduate school practicum ... I didn't realize how far over my head much of this is. I figured with good computer literacy that this would be something that I could learn quickly enough to get down to business.

Not at all.

So, here it is.

I'm utilizing Godaddy.com as a remote host for my potential journal. I have uploaded all of the files of OJS 2.1.1 to the file manager. Godaddy contends that the permissions and owners are changed automatically. I have followed the instructions in the README file, however, there seems to be a constant issue in the configuration of the database on my index.php file. First it was line 4, my password, which I changed to my GoDaddy.com database password. Then after several database connection failures I had to create a table. After learning how to do that (what are supposed to be the contents of the table in the database configuration?), I created a test table ... just to learn how to do it. I'm not even sure if it will work, because now, I'm getting a PARSE error, T_String on line three wich is part of the database cofiguration generated by Godaddy. Why would there be T_String error on that line I ask myself as what I have on the index.php and the configuration that is held with my database at godaddy.com are identical? I called them, they aren't trained in php, thus, they had zero information for me.

I can't even get to the /path/to/ojs installation as I continue to have database configuration issues. Also, I read in the config.inc.php about usernames and passwords being 'ojs' ... but, that didn't work either. Thus, I have run around in a tailspin and got myself confused. I figured I could start all over again, but ... I'm still at the first step. :)

Can anyone help?

Should I be using mySQL 4.1 or 5.0 through Godaddy? With a remote host, how much php and mySQL should I know, learn? Are there any tutorials that are helpful? Most that I have come around are for people that are configuring and operating mySQL locally and doesn't apply as much (although some of it has been helpful) to my situation.

I ultimately just wanted to handle the flow of content ... but, it looks like I have to learn all the technical aspects as well.

Please murder my confusion.
Brandon

Re: Completely lost ...

Postby asmecher » Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:35 pm

Hi Brandon,

It shouldn't be necessary to edit index.php or create any database tables etc. on your own; the installer should be able to customize the configuration file (config.inc.php) as necessary and also takes care of creating and populating the database. I'm confused about the modifications to index.php that you mention; could you describe these in more detail?

OJS works fine with MySQL 4.x and 5.x; either should be equivalent.

One problem users sometimes have with the installer is due to plugins trying to access the database before it has been created. You may want to try commenting out the line in includes/driver.inc.php reading:
Code: Select all
PluginRegistry::loadCategory('generic');
...until you've finished the install process.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Re: Completely lost ...

Postby Brandon » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:36 pm

Thanks Alec,

Well, after uploading all of the files, I was getting a database connection failure error, so the folks at godaddy.com said I needed to configure the database and paste its configuration into the index.php

Were they wrong? Does it need to be pasted somewhere else? In my hosting center there is an action under database called "create database". They informed me that I needed to create a database, name it, give it a password ... get the configuration and paste it to the index.php

I'll keep playing around with it ...

Thanks,

Brandon
Brandon

Return to OJS Technical Support