OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Page Numbers in Citation/Meta-data/Abstract

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Page Numbers in Citation/Meta-data/Abstract

Postby zharel » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:55 am

Hi,

I am using the option to add page numbers to the TOC, and it works nicely. Of course, I have page numbers in the PDF version of the article (which I create by OpenOffice), and using a script I also put the full volume+year+page numbers i the top of the HTML version of the article. However, I would like to have these page numbers in several other places: 1) In the Reading tools "How to cite item" (right now I see for some reason just the date of submission, not any of volume, year, pages), 2) in the Reading tools "Indexing metadata" 3) In the abstract. I don't know if this can somehow be achieved at this stage of OJS, or perhaps you should consider this as a feature request.

Thanks,

Zvi.

Zvi Har'El
Founding Editor
Verniana-Jules Verne Studies/Etude Jules Verne
http://JV.Gilead.org.il/studies/
zharel

Re: Page Numbers in Citation/Meta-data/Abstract

Postby asmecher » Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:28 am

Hi Zvi,

You'll need to modify a few templates to get this information in place:
  • For "How to cite item", templates/rt/captureCite.tpl
  • For "Indexing Metadata", templates/rt/metadata.tpl
  • For the abstract display, templates/article/article.tpl
You can use the $article->getPages() function to get the value of the pages field.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby zharel » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:19 am

Hi Alec,

You'll need to modify a few templates to get this information in place:

Thanks a lot. I'll certainly use the idea! I am happier and happier with OJS every day! :D

Zvi
zharel

Postby zharel » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:37 am

Dear Alec,

asmecher wrote:You'll need to modify a few templates to get this information in place:
  • For "How to cite item", templates/rt/captureCite.tpl
  • etc.

I have made the modifications and they work nicely. I have one question, though, about the "How cite item". I am using MLA style, and I replaced

Code: Select all
   "{$article->getArticleTitle()|strip_unsafe_html}" <i>{$journal->getTitle()|escape}</i> [{translate key="rt.captureCite.online"}], {$issue->getVolume()|escape} {$article->getDatePublished()|date_format:'%e %b %Y'}

by

"{$article->getArticleTitle()|strip_unsafe_html}". <i>{$journal->getTitle()|escape}</i> [{translate key="rt.captureCite.online"}], {$issue->getIssueIdentification(false,true)|escape},&nbsp;{$article->getPages()|escape} ({$article->getDatePublished()|date_format:'%e %b %Y'})

This works, but I dont understand what the function
$article->getDatePublished()
refers to: What is considered the publishing date? I looked at one of the articles history, and I found no entry which is even close to this date.

Best,

Zvi.
zharel

Postby asmecher » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:29 am

Hi zvi,

The published date is set depending on how the article got into the system. Is this an imported article? If so, the date was probably specified in the import XML. Otherwise, if you're following the regular workflow, the published date should be set when the submission is scheduled against a particular issue.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Return to OJS Technical Support