OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Installation issues

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Installation issues

Postby pfhoenix » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:33 pm

I'm on Windows Server 2003, using IIS6.0, PHP5.2.4, and MySQL 5.0.45 . I got through the setup process of OJS up to the online installation form. I have everything set, along with directories created for the data files. The problem I'm having is that the installation constantly fails from "The public files directory does not exist or is not writable.". The directory in question is set to full access rights by all users on the system (even the local Users group as a test), but this hasn't fixed the problem.

Is there something else that I'm missing? I have MySQL working with PHP as far as I can tell (the phpinfo page shows the extension).
pfhoenix

Re: Installation issues

Postby asmecher » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:32 pm

Hi pfhoenix,

I'm not particularly well-versed in Windows file permissions, so unfortunately I can't help much with that particular aspect; however, one thing to check is that you're using forward slashes rather than backslashes to specify directories on your system, e.g. "C:/myjournal/public" rather than "C:\myjournal\public".

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby pfhoenix » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:59 am

When I click the "Install OJS" button, two directories are created in the file directory, so I know the path is good. Permission wise, everything on the system has write access to the directory.

Does OJS do something odd with the directories it creates under the files directory?
pfhoenix

Postby asmecher » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:32 am

Hi pfhoenix,

No, OJS just creates the directory as per PHP's mkdir() function; there are no permission changes or the like. You mention that content is created in the files directory properly, but the original message relates to the public files directory. Note that these are different -- typically the public files directory is called "public" and is located in the OJS installation directory.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby pfhoenix » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:01 am

Aha, that worked. Thank you!
pfhoenix

Return to OJS Technical Support