OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Google Scholar

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Google Scholar

Postby AndyP » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:23 am

I've enables the Google Scholar Gateway plugin - what's the next step - how do I go about pointing alerting google scholar to the page it generates?

Thanks

Andy
AndyP

Re: Google Scholar

Postby asmecher » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:35 am

Hi Andy,

Google's XML-based Scholar harvesting was implemented, as far as I know, as a proof-of-concept, so you'll need to contact them with the URL in order to have your site indexed. The URL to the Google Scholar extract page is something like http://[url-to-journal]/index.php/[journal-path]/gateway/plugin/GoogleScholarPlugin, where [url-to-journal] and [journal-path] are of course adjusted to suit your own installation.

Since there were a few minor bugs in the 2.1.1 release of the Google Scholar plugin, I'd suggest downloading version 1.10 of GoogleScholarPlugin.inc.php from http://pkp.sfu.ca/cvs/cvsweb.cgi/ojs2/plugins/gateways/googleScholar/GoogleScholarPlugin.inc.php and replacing the version in your installation with it.

I believe Google is moving away from XML harvesting and towards a meta tag-based approach in the future, which we've accounted for in some of the new features in OJS 2.2, which will be released soon.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Return to OJS Technical Support