OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

OJS installed, but Apache crashes

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

OJS installed, but Apache crashes

Postby paulneate » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:21 am

First, let me say I am a complete beginner in using OJS, Apache, PHP and MySQL, so forgive me if I ask a stupid question.

I want to experiment with OJS on my Windows box (running Windows XP), with local access only.

I first installed the XAMPP package, and then downloaded and unpacked the OJS package. I moved the OJS folders into the folder xampp\htdocs, and pointed my browser at localhost\ojs, and got the installation screen for OJS.

So far so good.

I followed the instructions for installation as best I could (not fully understanding all of them), and all seemed to go well.

But now, when I try to launch OJS, I get a Windows error message that the Apache HTTP server has had to close yada yada.

Can someone help me with some pointers about what I might have done wrong, and how I might fix it?
paulneate

Re: OJS installed, but Apache crashes

Postby asmecher » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:25 am

Hi paulneate,

See http://pkp.sfu.ca/support/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2347#p8070; you're probably using a buggy version of Zend Optimizer.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby paulneate » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:15 am

Alec, forgive my ignorance but what is Zend Optimizer? As far as I am aware I don't have it on my machine. Should I have?

Paul
paulneate

Postby asmecher » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:58 am

Hi Paul,

See http://www.google.com/search?q=zend+optimizer, first result -- Zend Optimizer is often included with AMPP packages, though it's entirely optional. You can check your phpinfo() output to see whether or not it's being used.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby paulneate » Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:03 am

Hi Alec,

I have Zend (version 3.2) and it appears to be running. The version of XAMPP I have is version 2.5, 9 May 2007.

What steps do you suggest I take? Maybe I should just uninstall everything and start again?

Paul
paulneate

Postby asmecher » Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:42 am

Hi Paul,

There are two approaches you can use:
  • Disable Zend Optimizer by editing your XAMPP installation's php.ini and removing or commenting out the lines relating to it, or
  • Apply the work-around patch linked in the referenced thread.
Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby paulneate » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:34 am

Thanks, I'll give the first approach a try first.

Again, please forgive my ignorance, but how do I apply the patch you refer to?

Paul
paulneate

Postby asmecher » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:26 am

Hi Paul,

See the thread at http://pkp.sfu.ca/support/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2364&hilit=optimizer#p8135 for a few links and some discussion on how to use the GNU patch tool.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Return to OJS Technical Support