OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Spammed Registration

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Spammed Registration

Postby jcer_editor » Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:49 am

Has anyone ever come across the problem of spammed registration - over the past couple of days we have had over 50 new regsitrations that we believe are spam - basically the name is repeated three times : ie: Vigra Vigra Vigra or Thomas1THomas1Thomas1. There are no institutional details. Email addresses look random generated and inlcude most well known email providers inlcuding yahoo and gmail, but not institutional emails, there is no mailing address or biography and there is a link to random web addresses that again look randomly generated (i.e http://ewenfk.freephpwebhosting.net/map5. h t m l) please do not click this link as it may lead to a virus - I have spaced some of the letters to ensure it will not work - it is only for information purposes. There is always a phrase in the registration along the lines of "this is a great website" or "super work".

I have manually deleted all of these accounts and will watch for more being added. I just wondered if anyone else had come across this and if there was any way which it could be stopped?

Thanks
Eamonn
jcer_editor

Re: Spammed Registration

Postby asmecher » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:08 am

Hi Eamonn,

I've heard one or two reports of this happening, but the only cases of real abuse have happened when anonymous commenting is enabled. It appears as though some generic form spam software creates numerous OJS accounts in the hopes of user information being indexed by a search engine, but the latter doesn't happen. FYI, the next release will contain CAPTCHA testing for registration and comment posting, and an optional email validation process; these should address the problem.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby sdellis » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:00 am

We've been getting tons of spam submissions due to open registration. Commenting is turned off and there doesn't seem to be an easy way to delete the submissions in the interface.
sdellis

Postby asmecher » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:34 am

Hi sdellis,

Spam submissions? Hmm, I haven't heard of that happening before. Are they manageable manually, or is there just too many? To delete them via the UI as Editor, you need to first Archive them from the submission's Summary page, then find them in the Archive list, and delete them using the "Delete" link from there.

Because raw submissions are never listed anywhere on the website, spammers won't gain any benefit from this kind of spamming -- but it's difficult to explain that to them.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby kleanthes » Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:13 am

Yes, we're having plenty of fake registrations too. What I did in the absence of a confirmation code-protected registration process is post how users have to register, for example, upper case for initial letters only in users' names and things like that. So what I'm doing now is remove by hand all obvious fake ones (such as VIGRA VIGRA VIGRA) and send mass emails to non-conforming users with the threat to remove them. All by hand, of course, and all very time consuming. It would be good if my requirements for registrations could be posted into the registration procedure. Is there any way? Thanks, K
kleanthes

Postby asmecher » Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:22 am

Hi kleanthes,

There's further discussion on this issue at http://pkp.sfu.ca/support/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2109&p=8606 [note: url corrected].

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby marinos » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:13 pm

The bug bellow is confusing. I cannot find any evidence or patch for OJS 2.1.1 that will help us from not having spam registrations.
marinos

Postby asmecher » Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:26 pm

Hi marinos,

My apologies -- I posted the wrong link above. I've fixed it.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Return to OJS Technical Support