OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Help for install OJS for Biblios

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Help for install OJS for Biblios

Postby santillan » Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:03 pm

Dear friends,

My name is Julio Santillán, editor o BIBLIOS <http://www.bibliosperu.com> a volunteer and not profit journal about librarianship.

We would like to publish our academic journal using OJS. We had tried to install OJS but find problems with configuration.
Perhaps someone us can help me?

We would give you access to our host.

Thanks for your attention.

Julio Santillán
BIBLIOS editor
editor@bibliosperu.com
santillan

Re: Help for install OJS for Biblios

Postby asmecher » Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:15 pm

Hi Julio,

Could you describe the configuration problems you were having? Maybe I could suggest a few approaches.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby holphin462 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:27 am

asmecher wrote:Hi Julio,
Could you describe the configuration problems you were having? Maybe I could suggest a few approaches.
Regards,
Alec Smecher

I would like to join the discussion. My installation difficulties are: I have unzipped and copied the ojs-2.1.1 files to my server and renamed the folder ojs-in. Then I tried to call it vie http://www.sybilamber.com/ojs-in . According to the Documentation it should open and install. Then I tried to edit the config.inc.php and the config.TEMPLATE.inc.php files according to my account settings. It still did not work. I found no sql-file to at least configure the db, so it knows what to do... Then I deleted everything, because the installation did not work and downloaded the tar-files again and unzipped them newly to the ojs-in folder on my ftp-server... How can setup the software properly?
Kind regards, Sybil
holphin462

Postby asmecher » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:51 am

Hi all,

If you unpack the archive into your web directory and make sure the file permissions (e.g. on the cache directory and subdirectories) are set according to docs/README, you should see the installer when you point your browser to index.php. If you don't, you'll probably get an error message in your server log. If you don't have access to the error log, add the following near the top of index.php:
Code: Select all
ini_set('display_errors', E_ALL);
Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby holphin462 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:15 am

I pasted the code into index.php and the server it says that I would not have permission to access the requested file on the server. I set all to 774. It is under http://www.sybilamber.com/ojs-in/index.php .
holphin462

Postby asmecher » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:33 pm

Hi holphin462,

This will depend on your server setup, but 774 may not be enough. Try 775. In any case, the error message you refer to does not provide enough information; your server log should give more details.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby holphin462 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:42 am

It still does not work...i edited index.php and put my server data in, it says now: DB Error: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' http://www.sybilamber.com/ojs-in/index.php

the config.inc.php file makes this ;
http://www.sybilamber.com/ojs-in/config.inc.php
holphin462

Postby asmecher » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:39 am

Hi holphin462,

Are you following the installation instructions in docs/README? You shouldn't need to edit index.php to include any of your server's configuration info. From the DB connection message, it sounds like you're not running MySQL on your local server. Have you installed MySQL?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby holphin462 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:41 am

The database runs on MYSQL. Of course, I read the read me and release files and configured the folder permission and wrote in the db data. There is one database for ojs, it has no tables in it. All files are in ojs-in on the ftp-server. When I set the All Users to only read, I cannot access the file two config and index files, although owner and group may read, write and execute (774). Same as 775 or 777. Sometimes it says that the db has missing *.plugin tables in MySql; today it says that the access was forbidden ... I will add the versions:
Server Version: 4.1.20
MySQL-Client-Version: 3.23.49
phpMyAdmin - 2.9.0.3
holphin462

Postby asmecher » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:24 am

Hi holphin462,

Double-check the server requirements in docs/README; it sounds like you're using an unsupported version of PHP. OJS requires version 4.2.x at minimum.

In any case, there is a problem that users sometimes encounter in the installer, which results in the error message about plugin_settings not being created. To work around it, temporarily comment out the line in includes/driver.inc.php that reads:
PluginRegistry::loadCategory('generic');
...by adding a couple of slashes at the front...
//PluginRegistry::loadCategory('generic');
Once you've made it through the installer, you can remove the slashes and you should be good to go.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby holphin462 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:50 am

OK, thank you. I started from scratch! For now, let me kknow in the Read Me: Which one is the files directories, that should not be stored under ojs installation. And, which ones are the archives to be stored in the web folders of my domain.... ? I mean this: Which files and folders do I store inside the ojs-folder and which one outside....
holphin462

Postby asmecher » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:46 am

Hi holphin462,

The files directory is the only directory that should live outside of the web root; you need to make the directory, give it the appropriate permissions so that OJS can administer its contents, and then tell OJS where to find it by supplying the installer with the files directory's location. Aside from the files directory, everything else lives in the OJS installation directory, which is usually in some subdirectory of the web root.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby holphin462 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:48 am

Thank you so much! Sybil
holphin462

Return to OJS Technical Support