OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Enroll Existing User

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Enroll Existing User

Postby ntorres » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:58 am

Hello

When a journal manager link to "Enroll Existing User" from role's page to registry as any role (editor, copyeditor...) in his journal an existing user, he can list all users registered on my ojs site.
This list includes some information (username, name, email) protected by "data protection laws" ... and can show how many users exists... Exists any way to hide this information?

Thanks
ntorres

Re: Enroll Existing User

Postby asmecher » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:28 am

Hi ntorres,

The Journal Manager role is intended to have access to this sort of information, and there are many cases where it's useful and even necessary to allow them to access the complete list of users in the system -- I'm not sure I understand the privacy issue at stake here. Could you describe the situation further?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby ntorres » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:38 am

Hello

The privacy statement by default says "The names and email addresses entered in this journal site will be used exclusively for the stated purposes of this journal and will not be made available for any other purpose or to any other party."
But all journal managers (from all journals in ojs) can read this information about registered users (and "sign in as ")
We want jounal manager can not list users registered in other journals. Can it be possible?

Regards,
ntorres

Postby asmecher » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:06 am

Hi ntorres,

Since a single installation of OJS shares user accounts across all journals (which is not the same thing as sharing roles, of course, which can be assigned independently to different journals), the Journal Manager must be able to access the complete list of users e.g. in order to enroll a user as an Author if they've forgotten to choose the "Author" role when registering (or if user self-registration as an author is disabled, which might be the case if the journal has closed or invited authorship).

There are some restrictions in place, i.e. if a Journal Manager tries to use the "Log In As" function on a user account that has roles in other journals that the Manager does not also manage, they will not be allowed. This is to prevent a manager from gaining access to an author's submissions in another journal.

If this is not separate enough, I'd suggest managing several OJS installations rather than sharing a single installation amongst multiple journals. However, I don't think there are security issues beyond a Manager simply being able to see email addresses and names for users outside their journal.

Removing the ability of a Journal Manager to enroll users outside of the current journal will result in a number of administrative headaches -- one of the things users typically do is forget to choose a role, which results in their being enrolled without any roles in any journals. The Manager must be able to correct this situation.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Return to OJS Technical Support