OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Blank pages

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Blank pages

Postby quinn » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:54 am

When I have an open session logged into OJS, I get blank pages when I try to do anything. I have to go into the database and clear the sessions table to get the index page to load again, but then if I log in once more, I again get blank pages.

I've set display_errors to E_ALL, I've turned on database debugging, I've even put php echos at random spots in the code, but nothing I do ever shows up. It's always just a blank page.

Any ideas? I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same problem that's causing all the other problems from a previous thread, but since I can't track that one down I'm hoping this has a known source.

Thanks,
Quinn
quinn

Re: Blank pages

Postby asmecher » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:54 pm

Hi Quinn,

One possible cause for this is Zend Optimizer, which is buggy in certain versions -- see http://pkp.sfu.ca/support/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1666&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=15. It's more likely caused by your strange PHP behavior, however.

Any luck contacting your host with a short example script demonstrating the bug?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby quinn » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:20 pm

I'm afraid I don't know much about php, but I ran the example you suggested:

<?php echo var_export('This\'s got an apostrophe in it'); ?>

It gave the following:

'This\'s got an apostrophe in it'

It seems to work for this example. I wish I could be more helpful, but the only reproducible problem I have is when I do a fresh install and the locale files generated have the unescaped quotes in them. The rest just seem to happen, and I completely agree that they probably all share a common cause.
quinn

Postby asmecher » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:28 pm

Hi Quinn,

OK, now try:
Code: Select all
<?php echo var_export(array('This\'s got an apostrophe in it.')); ?>
Are you running these via the command line? If so, please try running it via a web browser to make sure you're testing the same configuration that's giving OJS problems.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby quinn » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:30 pm

Here's the result for that code:

array ( 0 => 'This\'s got an apostrophe in it.', )

Thanks for the extended help,
Quinn
quinn

Postby quinn » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:33 pm

I am running these in a web browser, you should be able to view my actual test at http://www.brocku.ca/ojs/
I next tried this:

<?php $b->x = 1; echo var_export(array('Tes\'ting', $b)); ?>

and it gave

array ( 0 => 'Tes\'ting', 1 => class stdClass { var $x = 1; }, )

Something I just found out is that the above code created by var_export is invalid, according to http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=29361. When executed, it gives an error:

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare class stdclass in /var/www/htdocs/ojs/index.php(11) : eval()'d code on line 1
quinn

Postby asmecher » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:14 pm

Hi quinn,

Odd. Is there any chance that you could give me temporary access to the server? I'd like to investigate further.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby quinn » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:42 am

I would if it were my decision, but the security policy is very strict, so I'm afraid I can't. I'll keep investigating, and I'll post if I find any clues :)

Thanks again,
Quinn
quinn

Re: Blank page only for the Login page

Postby yaliang » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:25 am

Dear Friends,

Excuse me, do you have found the solution for that problem? I also encountered that blank page problem for login page after applying the patch for the registration page (http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=2420). However, if I use the login fields in the sidebar, it works without any problem. I have checked the permission settings for the files, but it seems that this is not a permission problem. Is there any suggestion for solving this problem?
Thank you very much.

Yaliang
yaliang

Postby asmecher » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:46 am

Hi Yaliang,

I don't think your problem is related to this thread -- but have you checked the error log to see if anything shows up there? Both login forms should invoke the same code on the server side, so I'd suggest checking the HTML for each form to see if anything important is different.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Return to OJS Technical Support