- If I put firstname=Zedong, lastname=Mao, then it will display in the wrong order, like this: "Zedong Mao".
- If I put firstname=Mao and lastname=Zedong, then it will display correctly, but will be alphabetised incorrectly in the "By Author" section (under "Z" rather than "M").
- replace "lastname" with "surname" or "family-name" (DocBook does this)
- replace "firstname" with "personal-name" or something similar?
- provide an "order" attribute on the author element?
- provide a "lang" attribute that lets software look up the correct order?
For the moment I'm going with firstname=Zedong, lastname=Mao, and I hope my Chinese authors won't be offended. Perhaps I'll capitalise the family name in an attempt to make things clear, but it still feels not quite right...