OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Order of appearance of firstname and lastname

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Order of appearance of firstname and lastname

Postby barnes » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:04 pm

In some cultures (e.g. Chinese) people's names are normally written with the family name first, like this: "Mao Zedong". I don't know how to fit this into the OJS model.
  • If I put firstname=Zedong, lastname=Mao, then it will display in the wrong order, like this: "Zedong Mao".
  • If I put firstname=Mao and lastname=Zedong, then it will display correctly, but will be alphabetised incorrectly in the "By Author" section (under "Z" rather than "M").
My feeling is that the current setup in OJS is too Anglo-centric, and needs to be broadened to accommodate things like this, and other possibilities too. (For example, I noticed that someone was asking what to do with corporate authors, where the author is an organisation, not a person.)

Some possibilities:
  • replace "lastname" with "surname" or "family-name" (DocBook does this)
  • replace "firstname" with "personal-name" or something similar?
  • provide an "order" attribute on the author element?
  • provide a "lang" attribute that lets software look up the correct order?
Is there a standard for XML representations of names? Perhaps in bibliographic software? Zotero? EndNote?

For the moment I'm going with firstname=Zedong, lastname=Mao, and I hope my Chinese authors won't be offended. Perhaps I'll capitalise the family name in an attempt to make things clear, but it still feels not quite right...
barnes

Re: Order of appearance of firstname and lastname

Postby asmecher » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:31 pm

Hi barnes,

Agreed -- this would be a good option. For the most general solution, it might be better to add a field, e.g. "Presentation Name", that can be used to override the usual "Last Name, First Name"-type convention. This would also support institutional authors (but it would probably be best to look at some existing standards, such as Docbook, to see what they are using).

We've recently overhauled the metadata storage system, so I'd suggest going with the work-around for now and looking into a more permanent solution after OJS 2.2 is released -- this will save you a lot of time upgrading your modifications from 2.1.1 to 2.2. OJS 2.2 should be released this fall.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Re: Order of appearance of firstname and lastname

Postby barnes » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:34 pm

Hi Alex,

Yes, "Presentation Name" is good. I've seen that elsewhere too.

As you suggest, I'll wait for 2.2. Thanks.

Ian Barnes
barnes

Return to OJS Technical Support