OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

RSS

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

RSS

Postby tarkhorani » Sat May 26, 2007 8:12 am

how can I add RSS feed in my journal?
tarkhorani

re: RSS

Postby mj » Mon May 28, 2007 9:28 am

Hi Tarkhorani,

The answer to this question depends on what you mean by "add a feed in your journal". The current version of OJS contains an RSS feed plugin, which produces feeds for your journal in a number of formats (RSS 1.0, RSS 2.0, and Atom 1.0) - these contain articles for the current issue, or most recent #n articles. The links for these feeds can be configured to appear on only issue pages, or on every page.

If you mean capturing and embedding content from external RSS feeds (ie. other sites) into your OJS journal, then you will have to wait until the release of OJS 2.2, which contains a set of CMS (content management) plugins. One of these plugins allows you to specify RSS feeds for syndicating within your journal.

Regards,
MJ Suhonos
OJS Development Team
mj
Site Admin

Postby jmir » Mon May 28, 2007 11:48 am

Hi MJ

how do you switch from "current issue" to "last n articles", as you mentioned?

The settings tab of the plugin we are using only shows the option which reads as follows:

"This plugin produces RSS/Atom web syndication feeds for the current issue.

Settings
Display web feed links on all journal pages.
Display web feed links on issue pages only."

As our latest articles are published in the "upcoming issue" (rather than the "current issue"), we need a feed that displays the last n articles, so I am happy to see that this is possible - but how do I switch this?
jmir

Postby mj » Mon May 28, 2007 11:59 am

Hi Gunther,

You will need the most recent version (1.4) of the webFeed plugin - I believe it is currently only available through CVS, but will be included in OJS 2.2.

You should be able to download the plugin files through the CVS web, which will then contain a new setting toggle:

Settings
Display web feed links on all journal pages.
Display web feed links on issue pages only.

Display items in current published issue.
[ ] most recent published items.

I'd definitely be happy to hear your feedback on how the article-level syndication works for JMIR. It seems to make more sense for many journals than the issue-level feed generation.

Regards,
MJ
mj
Site Admin

Postby tarkhorani » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:11 am

in "Plugin Management" I can see "Feed Plugin:"

This plugin produces RSS/Atom web syndication feeds for the current issue.
Disable

that only have enable/disable option.
so how can I configure it?
tarkhorani

Postby mj » Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:52 am

Hi tarkhorani,

Depending on what version of OJS you're running, you should also see a "settings" link for the Web Feed plugin. The current version of the plugin (1.3) included with the latest release of OJS 2.1.1 doesn't contain the "most recent published items" feature; you'll have to either download the updated plugin files (1.4) from the CVS web as mentioned above (http://pkp.sfu.ca/cvs/cvsweb.cgi/ojs2/plugins/generic/webFeed/), or wait until OJS 2.2 comes out, which will include the new functionality.

Regards,
MJ Suhonos
OJS Development Team
mj
Site Admin

Postby tarkhorani » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:04 pm

OK, I will wait
another questions is that where is RSS link?
e.g. in openmedicine.ca the rss feed refer to : http://www.openmedicine.ca/feed/rss2

but for my journal I can find it
here is my journal URL:
http://JMSR.org
tarkhorani

Postby mj » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:12 pm

Hi,

In order for the web feeds to be displayed, your journal must have published some articles (ie. at least one issue). In the case of your journal, the URLs would be:

http://jmsr.org/index.php/journal/feed/rss
http://jmsr.org/index.php/journal/feed/rss2
http://jmsr.org/index.php/journal/feed/atom

Depending on the feed that you want.

Regards,
MJ
mj
Site Admin

Postby tarkhorani » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:14 pm

but they show home page, is it because of that we have not published any issue yet?
tarkhorani

Postby mj » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:18 pm

Hi,

Yes -- the web feeds plugin generates feeds based on the information in the most recent published issue / articles. Since your journal hasn't published any articles yet, there is no information to generate the feeds from.

Once you publish some articles within your journal, the feeds will automatically appear.

Regards,
MJ
mj
Site Admin

Postby tarkhorani » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:25 pm

I went to http://pkp.sfu.ca/cvs/cvsweb.cgi/ojs2/p ... c/webFeed/ to download and install new plugins but it was confusing.
which files must download? what is the instruction to install it?
tarkhorani

Postby mj » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:07 am

Hi,

If you click on each of the files in the CVS web, it will take you to a page that shows the development history of that file; eg. FeedHandler -- If you click on the "download" link for the latest version (for FeedHandler, v1.7), you can use this file to replace the ones in your current OJS install.

For the Web Feeds plugin, the pertinent files are:
* FeedHandler.inc.php
* FeedPlugin.inc.php
* SettingsForm.inc.php
* settingsForm.tpl

Please also note that any files downloaded from CVS are part of the development branch and may not have been tested fully -- there is a greater risk with using files from CVS. In the case of plugins, there is a much smaller likelihood of doing any damage to your OJS install, but you should be aware of this possibility.

The web feed plugin should be stable to download from CVS, but if you're uncomfortable or find it too complicated, then you may wish to wait until it comes out with the next OJS release.

Regards,
MJ
mj
Site Admin

RSS Plugin

Postby ramon » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:44 am

Hello MJ,

Will the RSS Plugin enable the reader to get "custom" feeds from search parameters? For example, I want to get feeds from articles of a journal that deal specifically with Information Architecture, or just from a specific section of the journal (only articles).

Is this a difficult task to accomplish?
ramon

Postby mj » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:00 am

Hi Ramón,

At present, the RSS feeds plugin only provides feeds for articles in the current issue, or most recent N articles. Generating feeds for a particular journal section, or for example, based on search keywords, is not unreasonably difficult, but would limit the feed scope for other users if it was the site-wide setting.

Your idea is a good one, and we could perhaps introduce the idea of multiple feeds (although this can become cumbersome), eg. one for each journal section, which can be enabled/disabled by the journal manager. I'll add this as a possibility for a future version of the plugin.

As for selecting articles based on keywords, this is most often done on the feed reader (ie. client) end, as most modern readers have keyword-based filtering and matching features. Although, again, I'll add the idea of search parameters to a possible future version.

Regards,
MJ
OJS Development Team
mj
Site Admin

HELP - plugin mess up (was RSS)

Postby jmir » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:16 am

HELP!
Seems like I did something really stupid.
I used to run an older WebFeed plugin - the one which generates issue level data only (FeedPlugin.inc.php 1.10 2006/11/15 mj etc), I tried to install the new WebFeedPlugin files (2007/10/23 asmecher) from the CVS (and renamed the old WebFeed folder) in the plugin folder. This didn't work (Plugin was not working but the system was still running)
So I removed the new WebFeed plugin files from the webserver and renamed the old WebFeed plugin folder to its original state.
Now to my horror the server is completely down. Well, it still sends a response, but all html files seem "empty" and I have no idea how t debug this.
Whatever I do (even if putting back the old or the new plugin), I get an empty page (http://www.jmir.org), on ALL pages.

Might have something to do with the plugin registry (whatever that is - unfortunately the OJS technical documentation mentions the plugin registry dozens of times without ever explaining what it is and where it resides) or something that has been written into the db? Or have any other config files been overwritten by the plugin?

I even went into the db and edited the table plugin_settings (WebFeedPlugin enabled = 0), but that didn't help either.

I don't have a clue where to start looking.

I guess another way to put the question is "how do you 'uninstall' a plugin properly".

Yet another way to put it is how do you figure out the interdependencies of a plugin, and are there any config files or db entries which could have been modified by the new WebFeedplugin which cause the system to break now?
jmir

Next

Return to OJS Technical Support