OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

avoid spamming of emails

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

avoid spamming of emails

Postby tarkhorani » Fri May 25, 2007 8:26 am

the OJS shows emails in text format and bare in site that can reaches by search engines so the SPAMMERS can find and grab the email address by robots and start spamming them, is there any plug in that convert emails to a picture so they can read by spammer robots?
tarkhorani

Postby asmecher » Fri May 25, 2007 10:03 am

Hi tarkhorani,

In the most recent release, all emails should be hex- or javascript-encoded in the public interface (i.e. the interface for readers). We haven't bothered with this approach e.g. in parts of the Editor or Journal Manager's interface, as these aren't viewable to anyone outside of the journal editorial team. Did you find an email link that wasn't encoded?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
---
Don't miss the First International PKP Scholarly Publishing Conference
July 11 - 13, 2007, Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://ocs.sfu.ca/pkp2007/
asmecher

Postby tarkhorani » Fri May 25, 2007 12:10 pm

%69%6e%66%6f@%6f%70%65%6e%6d%65%64%69%63%69%6e%65.%63%61

I check an email and see this code,
my questions is that is it not readable with robots?
can you place an option so show emails as a picture?
tarkhorani

Postby asmecher » Fri May 25, 2007 12:53 pm

Hi tarkhorani,

Those emails are obfuscated to prevent spam spiders from collecting them; the technique isn't perfect, i.e. a spider could be written to harvest these emails anyway, but I don't think it's likely. Image-based email addresses are probably the most secure from spiders, but the Smarty library which provides mailto obfuscation doesn't support them, and they're irritating to users because they must be typed in rather than simply clicked.

We might support image-based email addresses in the future, but for the moment it's not a priority as they've already been obfuscated in a way that's sufficient for the near future.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
---
Don't miss the First International PKP Scholarly Publishing Conference
July 11 - 13, 2007, Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://ocs.sfu.ca/pkp2007/
asmecher

Postby tarkhorani » Fri May 25, 2007 1:00 pm

Thank you for answer.

you can place it as a optional option in setting part so if a journal likes, active it.
tarkhorani

Return to OJS Technical Support