OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Reading Tools localization

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Reading Tools localization

Postby mbria » Thu May 10, 2007 3:04 am

Hi all,

Our magazine is trilingual (es_ES, en_US, pt_BR) so we need to translate every interface string to those languages.

I didn't find any trouble with all the strings found in /locale (BTW, thanks to the former translators) but when I try to do the same with /rt ones my updated xml files aren't loaded.

I noticed that OJS let you create sets and contexts, but I don't want to change it's content, just the way they are shown when user is Spaniard or Brazilian.

Anybody knows if there any way to localize the reading tools?

Here is the new magazine (with the last number released yesterday): http://psicologiasocial.uab.es/athenea

Thanks a lot in advance for your help,

m.
mbria

Postby asmecher » Thu May 17, 2007 4:52 pm

Hi mbria,

The Reading Tools are only supported in a single language at the moment; however, it's on our list of things to change. See http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=2882 for the related Bugzilla entry.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
---
Don't miss the First International PKP Scholarly Publishing Conference
July 11 - 13, 2007, Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://ocs.sfu.ca/pkp2007/
asmecher

May I help?

Postby mbria » Fri May 18, 2007 4:14 am

My fellows are pushing me with this issue... my I help with this?

I'm starting feeling confortable with your OJS code, so I will only need a couple of indications to start working.

Cheers,

m.
mbria

Postby asmecher » Fri May 18, 2007 10:38 am

Hi mbria,

The correction for this problem that we'll include in OJS 2.2 will need to be different from the solution you come up with, since we're waiting on a major overhaul of OJS's multi-language support to be in place before fixing this aspect. I'd suggest cobbling together a quick-and-dirty fix to get this working until OJS 2.2 is released. This means modifying the getJournalRTByJournal function in classes/rt/RTDAO.inc.php to return a different version ID depending on the locale being used -- a quick hack-and-slash would be something like:
Code: Select all
switch (Locale::getLocale()) {
      case 'en_US': $rt->setVersion(5031); break;
      case 'es_ES: $rt->setVersion(5042); break;
      (...and so on...)
}
...where the numbers (e.g. 5031 and 5042) are the version IDs from the RT administration page. Obviously hard-coding database IDs is a poor ongoing solution, but for an interim measure it will work without requiring a lot of coding.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
---
Don't miss the First International PKP Scholarly Publishing Conference
July 11 - 13, 2007, Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://ocs.sfu.ca/pkp2007/
asmecher

Thanks !!

Postby mbria » Fri May 18, 2007 1:21 pm

Thanks a lot Alec. Effective as always !! ;-)

As soon as I get time I will patch and forward to the community.

Actual HEAD version is solid as a rock and plenty of wonderful features and I can't wait until 2.2 will be released... but don't worry, I'm polite enough to repress my impulse of asking when is expected it will see the light. ;-)

OJS rulez !! :-P

See you,

m.
mbria

Return to OJS Technical Support