OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Customize the role of Section Editor

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Customize the role of Section Editor

Postby joaquim » Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:41 am

Is it possible to tweak the role of Section Editors in such a way that they cannot accept a submission but rather recomend it, and only the Editors are able to accept it? This is not an uncommon situation in some journals. We are considering moving our journal (Collectanea Mathematica) to OJS, but this is one of the few obstacles that we face. Overall, we are impressed with this tool.
Best regards,
Joaquim
joaquim

Postby asmecher » Tue May 01, 2007 12:11 pm

Hi Joaquim,

This isn't currently supported in OJS, but you can either modify the software slightly to support this requirement or use one of several work-arounds.

If you have PHP expertise on hand, I can suggest an approach. Otherwise, you could side-step the issue with a little social engineering:
  • You could assign recommending Section Editors as Reviewers, which would allow them to record recommendations without these recommendations serving as editorial decisions
  • You could assign Section Editors to articles with Reviewing capabilities only (see the submission's Summary page); this would allow them to assign decisions, but not to take the submissions through the Editing steps to complete a submission. The History page will show who recorded a decision and when, so if you like, full Editors can come along and record a second decision
  • Section editors could email recommendations to Editors using the mail icon; these emails are then captured in the Submission History, and the Editor could be left to record the recommendation
  • ...and so on.
Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
---
Don't miss the First International PKP Scholarly Publishing Conference
July 11 - 13, 2007, Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://ocs.sfu.ca/pkp2007/
asmecher

Postby joaquim » Wed May 02, 2007 4:12 am

Hi Alec,
Thanks for your advice. These are the sort of "paliative" measure that we were considering. But we'll rather modify the code if possible so that
the system detects when a section editor is logged in and either it just shows a menu with recommedations or an e-mail link to the Editor to report the recomendation. Personally I am not fluent in PHP but there is a local expert that I can ask for help. If you could point us where to start digging that will help.
Best regards,
Joaquim
joaquim

Postby asmecher » Wed May 02, 2007 10:51 am

Hi Joaquim,

I'd recommend keeping your changes minimal, as extensive changes may cause complications when it comes time to upgrade to a newer release of OJS. The simplest and best way to get the job done, in my opinion, would be to manage the process via emails. This would involve:
  • Removing the "record decision" access from Section Editors
  • Introducing, instead, a list of recommendations that, when one is chosen, leads to a new email template for that particular decision.
This will mean that Editors will receive recommendations from Section Editors via email, and these emails will be captured in the Email Log under Submission History. The Editor will then record the decision using the "record decision" interface as usual.

The downside to this approach is that there won't be an at-a-glance view of section editor recommendations on the submission's Review page; you'll need to go find the email in the History page. If you can overlook this downside, I'd suggest doing so rather than further customizing OJS, because changes to include a whole new class of recommended editorial decisions would be complicated to merge into a new release of OJS.

On the other hand, if you are able to code it in such a way that 1) the new feature could be disabled or enabled (i.e. OJS could operate in either mode), and 2) the code is clean and consistent with the OJS codebase, we'd be happy to consider the change for inclusion in a future release.

If this sounds promising, and you manage to locate a PHP resource, I'll provide more specific details.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
---
asmecher

Postby francesc » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:43 am

Hi Alec,

can you explain me the role of $allowrecommendation in OJS code? Can I use this to switch allow/disallow SectionEditors restrictions on sending decisions to the author?
It seems that this variable could do what we want. As I can see in /templates/submission/editorDecision.tpl, line 25, if $allowRecomendation is disabled, then "Register Decision" button is disabled.

On the other hand, if this variable do "more" that this, we'll need to add another variable in our OJS system. I see that configuration variables are in a SQL table. I'm going to try this way.

Best regards,
Francesc Dantí
francesc

Postby asmecher » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:20 am

Hi Francesc,

The $allowRecommendation variable is assigned in pages/sectionEditor/SubmissionEditHandler.inc.php and is true only if there is a review file available and at least one section editor or editor has been assigned to the submission on its Summary page. If those conditions are suitable, it might be a good candidate for controlling whether section editors can submit decisions to the author.

I'd suggest browsing through the code to see how $allowRecommendation is assigned to the template so that you can better understand how to make modifications to the code; have a look at the submissionReview function in pages/sectionEditor/SubmissionEditHandler.inc.php. There are a lot of variables but aside from that the function is not particularly complicated.

Also have a look at the OJS Technical Reference, available from the Documentation page of the OJS homepage. There is an example of interaction between PHP and Smarty templates that might be helpful.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
---
asmecher

Re: Customize the role of Section Editor

Postby eblwelch » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:12 am

We consider it very important that OJS support a workflow model where section editors recommend decisions to editors rather than posting/communicating final decisions to authors. This is a very usual editorial configuration even for small to medium journals. Although the workaround of removing the "record decision" access from Section Editors will prevent damage, it does not solve the problem of explicitly recording the Section Editor's recommended decision and consideration by the editor. How have other journals solved this since the original date of this request (2007)? Has OJS considered this modification or is there a plugin that handles this modification?

Thanks,
James R. Welch
Ethnobiology Letters
eblwelch

Return to OJS Technical Support