OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

CMS Plugin

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

CMS Plugin

Postby DavidRad » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:39 am

I successfully installed the CMS Plugin with TinyMCE however the instructions are a bit vague:

"This Content Management System (CMS) Plugin enables journal managers to add static content to their journals. The content is broken up into pages using heading levels 1, 2 and 3 while heading levels 4 and above do not break out into a new page. Each heading becomes a menu item in the table of contents (found in the sidebar). In order to edit a page, select it from the table of contents, edit it, and push the save button. To add a new page, simply add a new heading and content below the current page. New content will appear below the current page. "

On the CMS Plugin page there appears the TinyMCE editor and I've tried adding five "test" links via formatting then (within the TinyMCE editor) via H1, H2, H3, H4, H5. However nothing appears after clicking "Done".

After a closer look I do see this in the footer:

Page generated in: 0.5655s
Number of database queries: 9
Notes:
Missing locale key "Testing Link".

Any explanation would be appreciated.

Thanks
DavidRad

Postby asmecher » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:35 am

Hi David,

I've passed your request on to the developer of the CMS plugin; in the meantime, though, I think the message at the bottom of the page ("Testing Link") is unrelated. It's probably due to something on Setup page 5, like an additional nav bar item that's identified as a locale key rather than a literal string.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
---
Don't miss the First International PKP Scholarly Publishing Conference
July 11 - 13, 2007, Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://ocs.sfu.ca/pkp2007/
asmecher

Thanks.

Postby DavidRad » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:45 am

BTW, you're right with the nav link without a locale key.
DavidRad

CMS Plugin

Postby jalperin » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:37 am

Hi David,

I wrote the CMS plugin and the vague instructions...

I think the missing piece here is the 'SAVE' button (the little disquette). To save each page edit you make you must save. The done button only takes you away from the CMS plugin.

I present an example of how to build a simple page:

To build the following table of contents structure:
Page 1
with subheading 1
with subheading 2
Page 2

You will need to achieve the following heading levels:

Code: Select all
<h1>Page 1</h1>
the content on page 1

<h2>with subheading 2</h2>
with some content here

and any other elements you wish
<h2>with subheading 2</h2>

blah blah blah

<h1>Page 2</h1>

whatever content goes on page 2 goes here

You can use the H1 and H2 buttons to change any text to a heading and once you hit 'save' the pages will be separated out and only 1 page (or subpage) at a time will be displayed. You can then add new pages below or above the one currently being displayed by adding more heading tags.

If you are not clear as to what headings are being displayed, you can always use the HTML button to see what is happening underneath.

I hope this made a bit more sense now. Post again if you are still having difficulties and I will do my best to explain further.

Juan
jalperin

Postby DavidRad » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:56 am

Your instructions weren't so bad that I didn't understand them. Although, after following them, (and the latest) I still get no new sidebar navigation. I have Layout Manager and TinyMCE plugins installed. In fact, while in Layout Manager Plugin I can clearly see a box (in the Right Sidebar) where "CMS Plugin" results are supposed to be, though still no results.

Log files say nothing to give me a clue. Where might I look next?

Thanks for a great contribution. I appreciate your response.
DavidRad

no results...

Postby jalperin » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:55 am

can you have a look at

{ojsfiles}/journals/1/content/en_US/

(the 1 could be different if you have more than 1 journal, and same with the en_US if you have a different locale).

check the file permission on that directory. It should be writable by the web server.

while you are there, check the contents and permissions of the content.xhtml file. Let me know what you find.

It is a good sign that the CMS plugin is appearing in the Layout Manager. What happens when you hit the save button? does the content of your page remain? what about when you leave the plugin and come back - is there any content still present, or just a blank page?
jalperin

CMS Plugin

Postby ramon » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:59 am

Where is this plugin available?
ramon

Postby jalperin » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:16 am

The latest version of the plugin can be found in CVS. OJS 2.1.1 also included the CMS plugin, but this version had some bugs that have since been corrected.

If you have trouble with CVS, drop me an email juan [at] geeky dot net and I can host a zip file somewhere for you.
jalperin

Re: no results...

Postby DavidRad » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:10 am

{ojsfiles}/journals/1/content/en_US/

/usr/home/mhr/www/ojs2/files/journals/1/content contains only one "images" folder. And, it's 755.

while you are there, check the contents and permissions of the content.xhtml file. Let me know what you find.

I did a "locate content.xhtml" and there were no results.

It is a good sign that the CMS plugin is appearing in the Layout Manager. What happens when you hit the save button? does the content of your page remain? what about when you leave the plugin and come back - is there any content still present, or just a blank page?

The page refreshs and I'm sent back to the "System Plugins" management page.
DavidRad

Resolved

Postby jalperin » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:50 am

After some back and forth via email, two small problems have been found. The first was a usability issue: users must use the save icon (the little blue square diskette, part of TinyMCE) and not the done button when adding/editing content. The done button closes the plugin without making further changes.

A small second issue existed with the CmsRss Plugin and its interaction with the Cms. This problem has been resolved and the lastest version of the CmsRss Plugin can be pulled down from CVS and will be bundled in the next release of OJS.

Juan Alperin
jalperin

Re: CMS Plugin

Postby ramon » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:55 am

I'm testing OJS 2.2 and trying to enable the CMS Plugin, but it requires TinyMCE and the Layout Manager Plugin.
TinyMCE is aparently already shipped with OJS 2.2 or already installed somewhere else (I have a OJS 2.1 installation with TinyMCE enabled).

The Layout Manager I can't find anywhere..
"The Layout Manager Plugin must be installed and enabled in order to use this plugin."

Where is this plugin available?
ramon

Re: CMS Plugin

Postby asmecher » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:49 am

Hi Ramón,

Some of the plugins currently need refactoring in CVS before they'll function properly; the layout manager plugin has been integrated into the codebase and is no longer available, but the CMS plugin still refers to it. We'll be fixing these sorts of issues in the coming few weeks.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Return to OJS Technical Support