OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Create New User - With no role

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Create New User - With no role

Postby DavidRad » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:14 am

If I add a new user (With no role) that I would like to add as a member just in the Masthead, or assign a role later, is there a way of viewing ALL users regardless of their membership or enrollment?

Thanks for a great app!

David
DavidRad

Postby asmecher » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:43 am

Hi David,

To list all users, you need to use the Journal Manager's "Enroll Existing User" link. You can find this at the bottom of the Journal Manager's user lists (e.g. "Authors").

If you want to include a user in the masthead, but not assign them a role, you'll need to temporarily assign them a role such as Reader. We may move to a more flexible setup (i.e. not requiring entries to have corresponding accounts in order to appear in the masthead), but we haven't made a final decision on that yet.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
---
Don't miss the First International PKP Scholarly Publishing Conference
July 11 - 13, 2007, Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://ocs.sfu.ca/pkp2007/
asmecher

Clarifying user interface / Enrollment mechanism

Postby rmichael » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:27 pm

This was the first question I had from my editorial manager who was using a test system I built. He created a user account, didn't assign a role, then couldn't find the account again to enroll it. I couldn't intuit solution from the user interface either, and jumped into postgres to do 'SELECT * FROM users;" to be certain the user had actually been created. When I created my test accounts, I immediately assigned roles and so wasn't bitten by this.

Thoughts on cleaning up the user interface:
-----------------------------------------------------
The "All Users" link in the "Users" section on the "Journal Management" page should probably be labelled "Enrollment", as that's the title of the page to which the link leads. Most other pages have titles matching their respective links.

On the "Enrollment" page itself, the section title "All Users" should probably be changed to "Search" or something to that effect. What meaning does "All Users" have above the search interface? The user is about to select a role category for searching, which isn't related to "All Users". Further, the "All Users" entry in the drop down list should probably be changed to "All Roles", such that it's clearer we're searching roles, not users.

I do think, at a minimum, the Enrollment page should also provide a mechanism to enroll currently unenrolled users. After all, the page is titled "Enrollment". It is confusing that the Enrollment page is really (and only) for managing currently enrolled users, i.e. editing roles, assuming a user role, etc.

A reasonable solution might be to place the "Enroll Existing User" link on the Journal Managment page, with the "All Users" (which should still be renamed, as above :) ), "Create New User", etc. links. Otherwise, the "Enroll Existing User" link is too obscure (being at the bottom of a page which really seems designed to be doing exactly that..).

I think OJS does a nice job of divorcing user accounts from roles, which is quite helpful. There just needs to be a bit of clarification to users (and administrators!).

I hope this makes some sense, it would be easier to convey with screenshots.
rmichael

Postby asmecher » Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:39 pm

Hi rmichael,

This particular aspect of OJS has caused a fair amount of confusion -- I agree that a simple wording change would probably go a long way towards preventing further confusion. I'll add a Bugzilla entry to look into this further for the next release.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
---
Don't miss the First International PKP Scholarly Publishing Conference
July 11 - 13, 2007, Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://ocs.sfu.ca/pkp2007/
asmecher

Return to OJS Technical Support