OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

OJS crashing (may not be zendoptimizer bug)

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

OJS crashing (may not be zendoptimizer bug)

Postby yokaze » Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:14 pm

Hi, sorry for the new topic... this message probably got missed in the midst of the other threads.

A quick summary:
OJS has been running fine for the past 2 months or so 'til my host upgraded to the dreaded php 5.2.x / zend optimizer 3.2.x combo. After some back and forth, they reverted back to PHP 5.1.6 / Zend Optimizer v3.0.2, but my installation of OJS is still not working. The relevant info is as follows:

- OJS returning "CGI Error: The specified CGI application misbehaved by not returning a complete set of HTTP headers."
- Host running Win2003 + IIS6 + PHP 5.1.6 + Zend Optimizer v3.0.2
- PHP appears to be running in cgi mode
- I set "disable_path_info = On" as per earlier advice
- I reverted DAO.inc.php and functions.inc.php back to the originals (OJS v2.1.1)

Any ideas? (One bit of info... I'm not sure if the host was running php in cgi mode prior to this.)
yokaze

Postby asmecher » Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:21 pm

Hi yokaze,

This sounds like a Zend Optimizer bug. The newest release (3.2.4 IIRC) should work, but there's also a patch for OJS to prevent it from using the buggy part of Optimizer. See http://pkp.sfu.ca/support/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1666 for discussion and a link to the patch.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
---
Don't miss the First International PKP Scholarly Publishing Conference
July 11 - 13, 2007, Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://ocs.sfu.ca/pkp2007/
asmecher

Postby yokaze » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:48 pm

Thanks, it worked. I actually did apply the patch earlier, but reverted when my host downgraded php / zend optimizer. I guess I should have tried it again. :oops:

Strange though... I thought the buggy version of zend opt was 3.2.x (prior to this, the host was using 3.2.4, and OJS borked)
yokaze

Postby asmecher » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:09 pm

Hi yokaze,

Zend has been struggling with this one for several releases; there's a little bit of information on the Zend forum, but it's spotty. It looks like some things were fixed in 3.2.4, but in some configurations (i.e. FastCGI) the bug remains. For now, I'd suggest leaving the patch in place. Hopefully Zend will get things straightened out soon.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
---
Don't miss the First International PKP Scholarly Publishing Conference
July 11 - 13, 2007, Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://ocs.sfu.ca/pkp2007/
asmecher

Return to OJS Technical Support