OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Installation

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Installation

Postby carras » Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:26 am

I tried to install OJS ver 2.1.1 on a remote web server (http://www.altervista.org) to study your package.

I follow all the steps described on README file but when I try to open the web browser to my site (http://www.carras.altervista.org/ojs/) these messages appear:

Notice: ini_set() has been disabled for security reasons in /membri2/carras/ojs/includes/driver.inc.php on line 39

Warning: import(core/Core.inc.php) [function.import]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /membri2/carras/ojs/includes/functions.inc.php on line 21

Fatal error: import() [function.require]: Failed opening required 'core/Core.inc.php' (include_path='.:') in /membri2/carras/ojs/includes/functions.inc.php on line 21

If I understand the first message is only a PHP “notice “ and I could delete it by editing the code (I have to put @ before the line 39, isn’t it?)

For the other messages I haven’t any idea: could you help me?

You have to consider that
-I tried to install OJS on a local web server and the process was OK
-I tried to install OJS version 1.1.10 on the same remote web server (http://www.carras.altervista.org/ojs_1/) and the installation was OK .

Thank in advance

Carras
carras

Installation problems

Postby ramon » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:33 pm

Carras,

Looks like the server has disabled some important functionalities that are essential for OJS to work correctly.

I would suggest:
1 - Contact the support to see if they can fix the problems
2 - Move to another server that is configured to run OJS

You might ask them to install it before you close a contract to see if it works.
Usually they won't mind configuring it for you.

The ini_set() notice is important because OJS uses sessions to control users logged in.

The other 2 indicate that OJS is not being able to import files. It may be a PHP path problem, that Alec could answer better. Usually there is a standard path for PHP to import functions. If it is not configured to be changed by software, then it may be looking for the files in the wrong place.
ramon

Postby asmecher » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:40 pm

Hi carras,

Ramón's correct -- your server has disabled some PHP functions that OJS needs. You'll have to either ask your host to allow ini_set or you'll have to change hosts. As for the "Failed opening required 'core/Core.inc.php'" message, it may be a file permissions problem, but the most common cause is an incomplete installation. If you uploaded OJS via FTP, make sure that you uploaded everything. (OJS also uses the ini_set function to set the include path, so it might be related to the first problem.)

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
---
Don't miss the First International PKP Scholarly Publishing Conference
July 11 - 13, 2007, Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://ocs.sfu.ca/pkp2007/
asmecher

Return to OJS Technical Support