OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Looking for suggestions in developing the navigation menu

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Looking for suggestions in developing the navigation menu

Postby yaliang » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:23 am

Dear Friends,
Currently, I am working on publishing the first issue of our journal. After several trails and errors, the reading tools shown in the extra frame in default have been successfully integrated into our non-frame layout. And the functions work very well. The working version could be temporarily accessed via: http://140.118.10.116/ojs_issue/index.php/IJDesign/article/view/5/10
In order to facilitate users’ reading experience, as you can see in the sidebar, a “Navigation Menuâ€
yaliang

Postby asmecher » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:14 pm

Hi Yaliang,

FYI, the reason we went with frames for article viewing is because we need to support reading tools in a plugin environment such as when using PDFs for articles.

Section navigation for articles is tricky; there's nothing of the sort currently included in OJS, although we're working hard on integrating support for XML-based articles which will make this sort of feature much easier to implement. Off the top of my head, I'd suggest looking into your HTML and seeing if you can identify a standard tag used for article section headings. You can use regular expressions to parse these out of your HTML article galleys and generate links into the article. It will take some PHP and regular expression expertise, however.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
---
Don't miss the First International PKP Scholarly Publishing Conference
July 11 - 13, 2007, Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://ocs.sfu.ca/pkp2007/
asmecher

Re: Looking for suggestions in developing the navigation menu

Postby ssn » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:07 am

Hi, I think this reading tools in a sidebar solution is very nice design-wise - and the International Journal of Design, where I first saw it, hasn't given me any problems technically either. I'd be very interested in adapting this into a journal I'm involved with, but how to proceed? I'm at the layout end of things, not a coder. Is there any instructions for this?
ssn

Postby asmecher » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:13 am

Hi ssn,

Are you using OJS 2.x? If so, simply go into the "Reading Tools" link under Journal Management and configure the sidebar there. No coding should be necessary.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby ssn » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:27 am

Hi, thanks for a quick answer. Yes, it's 2.x, but I can only see a set of check boxes dealing with the contents of Reading Tools, not anything related to the positioning (frames or sidebars). I have journal manager rights, does that restrict me somehow in this case?
ssn

Postby asmecher » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:58 am

Hi ssn,

Sorry, I misunderstood your question. A stock installation of OJS only supports the Reading Tools via a frame; the International Journal of Design has modified their installation. I'd suggest contacting them to see if they would be willing to share the modifications.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby yaliang » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:47 am

Hello SSN,

As you can see in our International Journal of Design, there are two groups of functions available for users to read the articles. First, there are several reading tools for accessing the metadata of the article. It is easy to provide these tools with the OJS's management tools, as suggested by Alec. However, the default template is a frame-based page, it is not suitable for our layout design. Therefore, we modified the template and settings. Our approach could be outlined as following steps:

1. Login as Journal Manager and access the Management Page of Reading Tools.
2. Select the Journal Item Tools that you want to display.
3. Turn off (disable) the Reading Tools via the Reading Tool Options. If this is on, an additional frame will be created.
4. Using the Html editing application (e.g. Dreamwaver) open the templates/rt/rt.tpl and templates/common/sidebar.tpl files. Copy the script of the specific reading tools you want to use from rt.tpl and paste them into sidebar.tpl.
5. Then, the reading tools will be shown in the sidebar and you can create the website without the additional frame.

Unfortunately, the result might not be what you are expecting. You might need to modify the CSS file and some other code to tune your website.

Second, there are the navigation menu (hyperlinks of Section Titles for each article) which a read can jump to specific section of the article. Because the contents of the menu are embedded in each article (Html file) and dynamically changed, it was a little complex to implement this function. If you also want to provide this feature in your project, please let me know. Then, I will tell you how we did in our journal.

Best Regards,

Yaliang
yaliang

Return to OJS Technical Support