OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Problem with v2.1.1 when Reading Tools enabled

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Problem with v2.1.1 when Reading Tools enabled

Postby peverett » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:13 am

Hi there

I've attempted several times to upgrade OJS from v2.0.0 to v2.1.1 with various difficulties. I've managed to do it (and upgraded the MySQL database) but there is still at least one technical problem (maybe more) which I cannot trace. The old version is running OK at http://www.music.ucc.ie/jsmi/ with v2.1.1 running (but with errors) at http://www.music.ucc.ie/jsmi_new/

The new site seems to work fine provided that the Reading Tools are not enabled. Once I enable the Reading Tools, the abstract and full-text views give all sorts of error messages, which you can see for yourself (and refreshing the page in the browser reveals more error messages). When the Reading Tools are disabled, the abstract and full-text articles (in PDF only) load fine.

Can you advise please? Thanks

Paul
p.everett@ucc.ie
peverett

Postby asmecher » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:39 am

Hi Paul,

It looks like several parts of OJS have typos in the PHP code; if you upgraded via a patch, and chose the wrong patch file or attempted to patch a modified version of OJS 2.0.0, that could explain it.

If you've gone through the database upgrade process and it's been successful, I'd suggest re-installing OJS from the archive (keeping your config.inc.php file and making sure file permissions are good afterwards) to make sure that all PHP files are OK. You won't lose anything by doing this as long as you keep your database, public files directory, and files directory. All are configured in config.inc.php.

As always, back up your installation before doing anything major like this.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
---
Don't miss the First International PKP Scholarly Publishing Conference
July 11 - 13, 2007, Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://ocs.sfu.ca/pkp2007/
asmecher

Postby peverett » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:40 am

Alec thanks for your advice.

I'll try a re-installation again as you suggest, but I think i've already tried that. The upgrade route did not work, so I chose instead to make a new install of v2.1.1, then update the MySql database itself by using the SQL commands that are generated from the "Manual upgrade" option that the upgrade script provides. This seemed to work with the database (I have 56 tables that seem to conform to the tables required in v2.1.1), but the scripts are a problem as you say. I don't understand why there are typos in them when I simply extracted them from the downloaded archive for v2.1.1

Paul
peverett

Postby asmecher » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:08 am

Hi Paul,

Two notes:

First, you shouldn't have to upgrade the database manually if you just extract the newest version of the archive; you should use the tools/upgrade.php script to perform the update manually. If you have trouble with the automatic upgrade, please post here and I'll see what I can suggest. It should be fully documented in docs/UPGRADE.

Second, if your installation is complaining about syntax errors in a fresh unpacking of the distributed archive, something strange is indeed happening. What is your version of PHP? If you contact me with specific details, perhaps I can look at the problem scripts myself.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
---
asmecher

Postby peverett » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:32 pm

thanks Alec.

Yes I suspect it's the age and specs of our server that are possibly the problem (we need to migrate to something more up-to-date):

Apache: 1.3.26 (Win32)
MySql: 3.23.39
PHP: 4.2.1

Please advise if we should stick with OJS v2.0.0 in the meantime.

I can't seem to run the tools/upgrade.php script, i think because there is no command-line facility for php on this server setup

Paul
peverett

Postby asmecher » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:01 pm

Hi Paul,

This may well be a PHP version problem -- 4.2.1 is very old and probably a bit risky to run security-wise -- but please double-check to make sure that lib/smarty/Smarty.class.php is free of typos. If you've modified OJS, you might have introduced a typo in another file that's going unnoticed until Smarty.class.php is loaded. (Since other Smarty-using pages are working fine, that's not unlikely.)

FYI, you can run the upgrade script via the web interface -- turn "installed" to "Off" in config.inc.php and follow the upgrade link. Make sure your php.ini execution timeouts are generous, as the upgrade can take a while.

In any case, I'd suggest upgrading to the newest 4.x PHP ASAP; that'll probably solve the issue for you, and you'll have a much safer system too. In the meantime, OJS 2.0.0 is probably fine for your needs, but make sure that you've applied this patch.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
---
asmecher

Return to OJS Technical Support