OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

lost with installing

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

lost with installing

Postby mmccallum » Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:19 pm

I should point out that I have no idea what 90% of the stuff in the documents associated with OJS mean! So, if I sound dumb, its cause on this subject I definitely am! Please help!

Currently, I have my OJS unzipped in a folder titled OJS located in my public_html folder.

1) For a secure deployment it says that I should dedicate a database to OJS. How do I do this? Is this done using phpMyAdmin on my server's page, or something else. I have never done this!

2) The next step should be to make the following files/directories writeable.
config.inc.php
public
cache
cache/t_cache
cache/t_config
cache/t_compile
cache/_db
How do I do this? Where is the text located that needs to be changed?
the README file says to use chown or chmod. What is chown and chmod, where do I find them and how are they used?

2) the install directions say to create a directory to store uploaded files in, and to make it writeable. And to place it in a non-web-accessible location. Ok, I simply don't understand. Do they mean a folder outside of the public_html folder? And again, the writeable issue comes up.
mmccallum

Postby asmecher » Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:50 pm

Hi Malcolm,

Unfortunately, the details of how all this works will vary from server to server, depending on the particular OS (Windows, various distributions of Linux, etc.) and the particular configuration of the host. Some will allow you to create databases via PHPMyAdmin, some will assign you a single previously-created database, etc. My suggestion would be to find someone local who has experience with web applications; OJS is a fairly standard LAMP application and anyone who's installed one before (e.g. Drupal) should be able to set you up within an hour. Once this is finished you should be able to run the site without any particular server admin experience, except for the odd upgrade (which again is a fairly straight-forward process).

The Simon Fraser University does provide hosting and support services; see http://software.lib.sfu.ca/support.html for details.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
---
Don't miss the First International PKP Scholarly Publishing Conference
July 11 - 13, 2007, Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://ocs.sfu.ca/pkp2007/
asmecher

Return to OJS Technical Support