OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Unable to send some emails and some other tasks

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Unable to send some emails and some other tasks

Postby raheel » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:15 pm

Although sending most emails through the system works, I can't send emails for certain tasks, such as notifying authors about the review decisions or when I am acknowledging a reviwer's review. Also, some tasks like canceling a review request, or "review metadata" for copyediting fail.

All these give a "page cannot be displayed" in IE. In Firefox I get a blank white page. Safari is a little more helpful: says for example

"Safari can’t open the page “http://sofia.ocean.cs.siu.edu/index.php/ijcitp/editor/viewMetadata/18â€
raheel

Postby asmecher » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:51 pm

Hi raheel,

I suspect you've got an over-zealous firewall that's dropping requests with certain types of content; for example, I once encountered a firewall that would drop any request containing the words "delete" and "from" in that order in a misguided attempt to avoid certain types of SQL injection attacks; this sequence appears legitimately in several OJS pages. If you can, try disabling the firewall temporarily to see if that corrects the problem. Then you'll have to do a little legwork to narrow down the specific firewall rule that's causing the trouble.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
---
Don't miss the First International PKP Scholarly Publishing Conference
July 11 - 13, 2007, Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://ocs.sfu.ca/pkp2007/
asmecher

Postby asmecher » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:55 pm

Hi raheel,

Can you check your webserver logs to see if anything corresponds to the failing requests?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
---
Don't miss the First International PKP Scholarly Publishing Conference
July 11 - 13, 2007, Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://ocs.sfu.ca/pkp2007/
asmecher

Postby raheel » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:08 am

Nope. Nothing fishy in my syslog that I can relate to these problems. I do see some postfix errors like these:

Feb 22 07:49:42 sofia postfix/qmgr[4817]: 64E6F6F8312: from=<www-data@mymachine.aa.edu>, size=1340, nrcpt=2 (queue active)
Feb 22 07:49:43 sofia postfix/smtp[26847]: connect to gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com[64.233.167.114]: Connection refused (port 25)
raheel

Solved it...

Postby raheel » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:55 am

After quite a bit of digging, it seems that the problem was PHP memory allocation which by default is set to 8M. Upping it to 32M solved the problem...

Thanks again!
raheel

Return to OJS Technical Support