OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

OJS Email Question

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

OJS Email Question

Postby GeorgeBiology » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:11 am

Hello everyone,

I was hoping to get a response to a question I have been attempting to figure out. I am wanting to use OJS for a course that I am working with in which we will handle around 300 papers per week going in and out. I will be using around 40 different reviewers, and each one of the reviewers will read up to 30 papers a week.

I want to know if there is a way around having to send emails to the reviewers once they are assigned? Currently, the editor sends the email and the reviewer clicks a link within it to then accept the review in the system. Is there a way to force the reviewer to accept it without them clicking a link? In my case the reviewers will be those who have no choice but to review what is assigned to them.

Thanks
GeorgeBiology

Re: OJS Email Question

Postby asmecher » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:34 pm

Hi GeorgeBiology,

There's nothing built into OJS to do that, but if you have some PHP expertise on hand, I can suggest where to start working on modifications.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby GeorgeBiology » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:00 am

That would be great to know where to start in the php coding. Perhaps I could private message you to get more details about this issue, and so I could have my programmers also speak to you?
GeorgeBiology

Postby asmecher » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:15 am

Hi George,

No harm in outlining it here in case other users find it useful. Just to confirm -- you'd like the process of assigning a reviewer to automatically notify them via email with the default email text etc. Is that correct?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby GeorgeBiology » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:24 am

Correct. I would like to know about that process so we can remove the need for an email to be sent and to remove the need for the reviewer to click the link to accept. I want for the reviewer to auto accept it when they are assigned to a review.
GeorgeBiology

Postby asmecher » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:33 am

Hi George,

There are two pieces you're talking about here:
  • Automatically notifying the reviewer once the Editor selects them. Currently this is two steps for the Editor.
  • Automatically marking the review as Accepted. Currently this is a required step for the Reviewer.
It sounds like you want both of these simplified, correct?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby GeorgeBiology » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:36 am

This is correct!
GeorgeBiology

Postby asmecher » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:57 am

Hi George,

Automatically notifying reviewers during Editor's assignment process:

The relevant template file is: templates/sectionEditor/submission/peerReview.tpl
The relevant controller is: pages/sectionEditor/SubmissionEditHandler.inc.php (selectReviewer and notifyReviewer functions)
The relevant action class is: classes/submission/sectionEditor/SectionEditorAction.inc.php (addReviewer and notifyReviewer functions)

You'll want SubmissionEditHandler::selectReviewer to additionally kick off the logic in notifyReviewer after finishing.

Automatically accepting the review:

The code to mark a review as accepted is implemented in classes/submission/reviewer/ReviewerAction.inc.php in the confirmReview function (for the reviewer to activate). It's also implemented in classes/submission/sectionEditor/SectionEditorAction.inc.php in the confirmReviewForReviewer function (for the Section Editor to activate on the Reviewer's behalf). I'd suggest using the latter and kicking it off in the same process outlined above.

With that done, you'll also have to modify the reviewer's interface so that the "accept/reject" step isn't shown. To do this, modify pages/reviewer/ReviewerHandler.inc.php (the controller) and templates/reviewer/submission.tpl (the view).

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby GeorgeBiology » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:00 am

Thank you for your assistance, I will update you on my progress as it becomes relevant.
GeorgeBiology

Return to OJS Technical Support