OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

How to exempt IP addresses for subscription based articles

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

How to exempt IP addresses for subscription based articles

Postby tningal » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:15 am

Hi All,

We are launching an online subscription based journal articles and would like to exempt universities, other academic and non-profit organizations from subscription fees. I have checked the options available in journal subscription menu under Journal Manager but could not find anything to facilitate this requirement. Are there other options out there we might have overlooked or other alternatives that we could use?

Thanks in advance

Tine Ningal
tningal

Re: How to exempt IP addresses for subscription based articl

Postby JasonNugent » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:05 am

Hi Tine,

The way I'd handle this is to create a subscription containing all of the IP addresses you want to exempt. Just any old institutional subscription would do. You would need to collect the IP addresses for it, but it should work like any other subscription.

Regards,
Jason
JasonNugent
Site Admin

Postby tningal » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:58 pm

Thanks Jason,

I was considering this option but since I have not set one up before, I thought it would be wise to seek the opinion of others first so I will look into your suggestion.

Cheers

Tine
tningal

Postby tningal » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:27 am

Hi Jason,

and others who might be in the know. I have created an institutional subscription and used their IP addresses to exempt them from logging but gain automatic access. When it was tested from within the university, it still requires login. Is there a better way you might know of or use? Our aim is to allow access to institutions without login based on their IP addresses.

Many thanks

Tine
tningal

Postby ctgraham » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:38 am

Tine,

One possibility for the Institutional Subscription not working as expected would be if the University is providing a X_FORWARDED_FOR header containing a private IP, but your subscription is keying on the University's public IP range. I've opened bug http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=8854 regarding this.
ctgraham

Return to OJS Technical Support