OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

notifications vs notification emails

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

notifications vs notification emails

Postby elt » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:57 pm

Hi,
I am trying to understand how notifications vs notification emails are handled in OJS 2.3.x and 2.4.x

We have a system which was migrated from 2.2.4 to 2.3.8 and then from 2.3.8 to 2.4.3.

My understanding is that formerly (prior to 2.3.x), users used to receive all notifications by email. They now have the additional option of viewing notifications on the notifications page and subscribing to these notfications via RSS.
Also, formerly a user had to be registered with a journal in order to receive notifications. Now an unregistered user can receive email notifications by subscribing to the mailing list, if the notifications block has been enabled in Journal Setup.

I am trying to understand how this behaviour may have changed when we migrated to 2.3.8. If the notifications block is enabled, I see on the notifications form that the default is NOT to receive email. Were all email notifications automatically disabled when we did the upgrade? Also, what might change if the notification block was never enabled or was enabled and subsequently disabled in Journal Setup? Would users who formerly (before upgrade to 2.3.x) received emails continue to do so, particularly with respect to Site Events?

Also, how does one remove people from the list of users who receive emails announcing the publication of a new issue? I understand that formerly this could be done from the users profile page but this option is no longer available. How does one remove a user from the mail list, particularly if the notifications block is not enabled?
Many thanks
elt

Re: notifications vs notification emails

Postby elt » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:28 am

Is anyone able to provide answers to my questions above? Any light shed would be appreciated !
elt

Re: notifications vs notification emails

Postby jmacgreg » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:34 am

Hi Elt,

Apologies for the delay in responding. Notifications in OJS 2.3/2.4.x are pretty complicated, and something that will be much more simple to manage in OJS 3.x. In the meantime, you may find this FAQ entry useful as it describes the different kinds of notifications in OJS and how to manage them. If you need any further help, or have any other specific questions, please let us know!

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Return to OJS Technical Support