OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Moving to a new server

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Moving to a new server

Postby gbrunialti » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:34 am

Hello everybody.

I'm moving our journal from a server to another one, for which I only have FTP access and access to the new DB the system administrator has set up for us.

Here's the problem I'm encountering: as suggested in the FAQ's on the OJS wiki, as well as on various posts here on the forum, I've simply backed up all the files from the old server, as well as have dumped the entire DB, then moved everything onto the new server. Then I've edited the config.inc.php file with the new base_url and the new information to access the new DB. I've checked possible variations on file permissions, but everything looked ok.

Result: I keep getting a blank page once I access the 'index.php'.

What I've tried, one at a time: I've tried clearing the cache files in the cache/ and in the cache/t_compile folders. I've tried resetting the config.inc.php with the original 'untouched' version to see what would happen. I've tried to display possible php errors via ini_set('display_errors', E_ALL); appropriately added to 'index.php'. Nothing ever turns up.

The sad thing is that if I attempt to proceed with a fresh installation of OJS (v2.4.3) on the new server, everything works fine (file permissions set, access to the DB, and so forth...).

Some more information: The server is running PHP v5.3.28. I've tried using the Firefox plugin FirePHP for Firebug as to get some hint, but the only error which comes up is a simple "Error 500 - Internal server error".

Thanks in advance for the help!
gbrunialti

Re: Moving to a new server

Postby asmecher » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:25 am

Hi gbrunialti,

What is your old version of OJS?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby gbrunialti » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:29 am

Hello Alec,
the old version is 2.3.6.

Thanks for the prompt reply!
Gianmarco
gbrunialti

Postby asmecher » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:05 am

Hi Gianmarco,

It's likely that your new server has a newer version of PHP which is causing problems with that release of OJS, which is by now quite old. For example, OJS 2.3.6 contained a class called "Locale" that conflicts with newer versions of PHP which now include a class of the same name. I'd suggest upgrading your installation at the same time as you move it across.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Return to OJS Technical Support