OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Questions from my IT department

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Questions from my IT department

Postby Richard » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:33 pm

Our University IT folks have agreed to install OJS.
They asked me to find out about the following ...

Does OJS allow you to use two authentication sources? For example if we install the LDAP plug-in can "non-ldap" users authenticate against the OJS internal database?

Do the database and the OJS application have to reside on the same server? What's recommended?

If we plan to host 3 quarterly journals initially, each publishing 4-6 articles per issue and none will involve image intensive article,s would 1 GB of space meet the needs for the first year?

Do the journals share the database or does each journal require it's own instance of the database?

Is it possible (and not too difficult) to provide an individual domain name for each journal in the OJS?
For example, say OJS lives on ojs.creighton.edu and the Journal of Interdisciplinary Leadership (JIL) resides on it, can it be accessed as JIL.edu?

How often are new releases or versions of OJS planned? Are these on a somewhat regular schedule (e.g. annually) or more random?

How critical is a test server, especially for the upgrades? We usually create one, but it not an absolute rule.

Thanks,
Richard
Creighton University
Richard

Re: Questions from my IT department

Postby asmecher » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:53 pm

Hi Richard,

1. The LDAP integration is fairly rudimentary and not well supported. Most users who are interested in LDAP see it as a potential for single sign-on, but it won't do that -- it will only allow OJS to share user databases with other systems, but users will need to verify those credentials with OJS separately of other login systems. For single sign-on, Shibboleth is probably something better to investigate -- however, Shibboleth support was a 3rd-party contribution to OJS so unfortunately we aren't able to provide direct support and trouble-shooting. If you've got a particular problem to solve, describe it and I'll see what I can suggest.

2. The database and OJS don't have to reside on the same server; you can enter a hostname for the database connection and have it live elsewhere transparently.

3. It's hard to say anything definitive about storage requirements, since each journal varies -- but the most space-consuming part of the bargain is the file storage, so avoiding large images should keep your storage space requirements very manageable. See e.g. this discussion.

4. Each journal shares the same database. There are minimal but non-zero areas of overlap; for example, a user can be an Editor in one journal, an Author in another, and have no activities in a third, but the account itself (e.g. name, email address, etc.) will be the same.

5. Yes, it's possible to mix domain names for journals within the same installation. This will require some configuration both in OJS (the base_url[...] parameters in config.inc.php) and Apache rewriting.

6. Releases are scheduled as needed to keep a dependable, stable version available (based upon the accumulation of "recommended patches", or common bugfixes against the last stable release) plus the various new pieces of functionality that we need to release, based on grants, subprojects, partnerships, and the like. You can see our current set of milestones along with more detailed descriptions of each release line here.

7. A test server is not usually necessary, but of course the more development or experimentation you do, the more convenient it'll be.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby Richard » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:28 am

Alec,

We understand LDAP, and simply want to use it for the convenience of our folks so they don't have to manage a lot of passwords. We also realize that there will be others (reviewers, authors, etc) who will not belong to our University and we we want them to log in as well. My question is: how cumbersome is it to have both options enabled?

There are a couple of other questions I still need answered (I'll restate them.)

If we use one OJS installation for several journals, do the journals all share the same instance of the database?

if we use one OJS installation for several journals, can each one also have it's own domain name? Assuming we want ojs.creighton.edu/JIL to also be http://www.JIL.edu or http://www.JIL.com and get that all arranged, will OJS allow that?

Richard
Richard

Postby asmecher » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:44 am

Hi Richard,

Sorry, I had a flight depart just as I was adding the last responses. I've edited the answer above to include them.

I would recommend against using the LDAP integration at the moment. It's not broadly used or well supported and we'll be able to provide only limited help with it.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Return to OJS Technical Support