OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Password expired

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Password expired

Postby Carla » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:57 am

Hi all,
I am using OJS as journal manager of two journals. In the last weeks a lot of authors/reviewers are experiencing log in troubles. They cannot log in with their usual pasword, even if they reset it and receive a new password they cannot still log in.

Sometimes they click the reset link, follow all the steps and in the end they get an error message saying the password has expired.

Could you please help me with this issue? It's really urgent....

thank you
Carla
Carla

Re: Password expired

Postby asmecher » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:14 am

Hi Carla,

Do you have the specific message that your users are receiving? What version of OJS are you using, and are you experiencing any problems yourself?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby Carla » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:58 am

Hi Alec, thank you for the quick reply.

Here it is the error message, the user receives the reset password e-mail, he successfully changes the password but when he logs in he gets this message:

Login

Invalid username or password. Please try again.

Username
Password
Remember my username and password

» Not a user? Register with this site
» Forgot your password?

If I try to log in with his user and password I get the same message.

On the other Journal, same message but I can log in using his user and password.

Thanks a lot

Carla
Carla

Postby asmecher » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:10 am

Hi Carla,

That's the normal "invalid password" message, indicating that either the username or password was incorrect. I was wondering more about the expiry message.

Have you experienced any of this yourself? I'm trying to determine whether users are having trouble with the password reset process, or whether something changed on your system to suddenly cause more problems.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby Carla » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:23 am

Hi Alec,

I have enquired about the "expire" message and will come back to you as soon as I have a reply.

At the moment, the reviewer is experiencing this problem: He tries to log in but he always gets an invalid username/password message. He resets the password, and when he logs in again he does not succeed and is asked to reset password again.

Please...help me, it's really embarassing :oops:
Carla

Postby asmecher » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:31 am

Hi Carla,

Has your host recently changed its PHP configuration? If so, and if they're using a non-standard configuration, it's possible you're running into this situation: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11559 (specifically that your session hashes are too long for the database column used to store them). Check your system's PHP session hash configuration to see what kind of ID it's generating.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby Carla » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:52 am

Hi Alec,

no idea... I am not a technician... I will ask to the host mantainer. Could you please tell me what should I exactly ask to check?

thank you very much

Carla
Carla

Postby asmecher » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:18 am

Hi Carla,

As your tech contact what your PHP session.hash_function configuration parameter is set to, and whether it's changed recently.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby Carla » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:08 am

Hi Alec,

could this be useful?

Thank you
Attachments
PHP_ini.txt
(66.22 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
Carla

Postby asmecher » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:47 pm

Hi Carla,

I don't see anything in your php.ini that would explain it.

For users who are entering login credentials and being sent back to the login page without any error indication, the most likely problem is that their browser is not sending cookies. If their security configuration is too strict, this may happen. They could try using a different browser, or (temporarily at least) decreasing security settings to permit cookies. OJS's use of cookies is typical and shouldn't require anything extravagant for permissions.

For users who are attempting to reset their password and receiving the message "Invalid username or password. Please try again." -- the password reset process involves two steps and this can cause confusion. If users don't follow the steps suggested in two separate emails, their password will not be reset.

If you're able to replicate any unusual behavior yourself, it'll be helpful -- this is hard to debug without specifics.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Return to OJS Technical Support