OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Make titles link directly to files in TOC?

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Make titles link directly to files in TOC?

Postby rootl » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:37 am

Greetings -

We would like to have this behavior option on the TOC page:

If "show Abstract" is not selected for that journal, then each Article title will link to, and directly open, its respective file.

This would be instead of having a separate download link.

We also want "Full Issue " to be linkable and directly open the Full Issue file.

I know template files would need to be altered - let me know which (I know templates/issue/issue.tpl would be one)

Could this be incorporated into OJS 3.0 as an option? (IE journal have separate links to articles or have the title link directly)? Thanks.
rootl

Re: Make titles link directly to files in TOC?

Postby asmecher » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:27 pm

Hi rootl,

For article downloads, templates/issue/issue.tpl is the relevant template; for issue galleys, it's templates/issue/view.tpl.

OJS 3.0 will look quite different -- when it comes time for beta testing, please have a look and feel free to send us detailed suggestions.

However, some external services require an HTML landing page in order to work properly -- for example, Google Scholar. You may find that editing your links to go directly to the download file has a negative impact on your journal's appearance there and elsewhere.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Re: Make titles link directly to files in TOC?

Postby rootl » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:06 am

Thank you for this information. I need to relay to our group that many requested changes will affect all journals on our instance, and will affect other journal behaviors.

I definitely want to beta test and send feedback for OJS 3.0.

I am a latecomer to this platform development but I would love to contribute.
rootl

Return to OJS Technical Support