OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

How to remove submission and related files after publication

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

How to remove submission and related files after publication

Postby Farrukh » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:57 pm

Hi,

I am managing an instance of OJS 2.4.1 and noticed that the overall directory size is increased a lot. Following are few questions:

A. Can I remove submission and supplementary files to bring overall size down? and How?
B. What is best practice to maintain overall installation size?
C. I don't want to keep intermediary files in the system, please let me know what files should I remove?
D. What would be impact on functioning of OJS after removing these files?

The installation is on a shared hosting provider and they limit disk space by certain data size.

Farrukh.
Farrukh

Re: How to remove submission and related files after publica

Postby asmecher » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:32 am

Hi Farrukh,

First check to see what's taking space. Is it the database, OJS installation directory, or files directory?

If it's the installation directory, check your cache directory to see its size. Depending on your configuration (e.g. whether you've enabled web_cache) this may need occasional cleanup.

If it's the files directory, then you could consider removing editorial files, though in my opinion that's important record-keeping and shouldn't be erased. OJS will not complain unless someone tries to download that file, in which case you'll probably see a blank page. If you're publishing PDF and HTML, simply search your files directory for other types (e.g. .doc) and remove them.

Generally speaking, storage is currently very cheap and you may want to look for a hosting provider that doesn't charge as much for it...

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Re: How to remove submission and related files after publica

Postby Farrukh » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:29 am

Thankx Alec,

This is helpful.

Farrukh.
Farrukh

Return to OJS Technical Support