OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

How to initiate Round 2 Reviews?

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

How to initiate Round 2 Reviews?

Postby soj » Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:53 pm

Hi, it's not clear to us how to proceed to Round 2 of Reviews. We got as far as this:
Editor entered a decision of "Revisions Required," and sent email noticfication to the author via the system of the decision. The author did not see where to submit his response/revised version and so uploaded the files as supplementary. The Editor uploaded a second copy of the revised manuscript in the field for "Upload a revised file to serve as the review version." Now we need to initiate Round 2, but have found no clues on the page: Editor >Submssions > #11 > Review, or instructions in the user manual addressing how to accomplish this. It's probably something simple we are missing ...

TIA! soj

Note: we are running one OJS update behind.
soj

Postby asmecher » Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:56 am

Hi Soj,

The Author should be able to upload a revised version under the submission's Review page at the bottom ("Upload Author Version").

To initiate a new round of reviews, you need to record a "Resubmit for Review" decision, select a file to re-submit, and click "Resubmit". This will initiate the second round.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
asmecher

Postby soj » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:51 am

Thanks! Duh - we just didn't make that connection. Live and learn. soj
soj

Postby yaliang » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:59 pm

Dear Alec:

Excuse me, I have two questions about initializing the second round of peer review. First, after the first round, the author would revise the paper and create a document to explain their revision towards to the reviewer’s comments. Therefore, there might be two files, one is the revised paper, the other is the explanation document. Because only one file could be selected to be resubmited for review, does it mean that the explanation document should be uploaded as a supplement file for reference?
The second question is that the same reviewers of the first round might be assigned to evaluate the revised paper. Therefore, is there an easier approach to conduct a second round with the same reviewers (doesn’t need to pick them from the reviewers’ list again)?
Thank you very much :)

Best Regards,

Yaliang
yaliang

Postby asmecher » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:44 am

Hi Yaliang,

You have a few options for tracking authors' comments:
  • If the Author emails the Editor (or anyone else) using a letter icon in OJS, the email will be recorded and will be available for review on the submission's History page (if email logging is enabled)
  • The Author can use the comments button (which looks like a sheet of paper) to communicate with the Editor
  • The Author can use the original submission file as a scratch pad.
When you record a "Resubmit for Review" decision and select a review file to resubmit, all reviews who recorded a decision should automatically be re-assigned for the new round. Is this not happening?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
asmecher

Postby yaliang » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:09 am

Dear Alec:

When I selected a file (the author uploaded) and click "resubmit" button, the following error message was shown: DB Error: Column set to default value; NULL supplied to NOT NULL column 'declined' at row 1
Then, I went back page and clicked the "resubmit" button again. The error message was not displayed, however, the round number "3" with an empty list of reviewers were shown (that's why I posted the previous problem).
I tried this with two test submission files and got the same error. Could you give me some idea to fix this problem? The current version of OJS for our system is 2.1.1.0 (July 20, 2006) running on Windows IIS.
Thank you very much.

Best Regards,

Yaliang
yaliang

Postby yaliang » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:40 am

Dear Alec:

A few minutes ago, I created a new submission and tried the resubmit for review function again. Then, the error was not shown. I think the problem might come from the submission files were created with previous version of OJS and there were some changes in the database.
Thank you very much.

Yaliang
yaliang

Postby yaliang » Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:21 am

Dear Alec:
Excuse me, I got some more questions about conducting a follow-up round of review:
1. Can the reviewers access the submission's History page to read the contents which the author sent to the editor you mentioned in the previous post (such as the explanation of revision)?
2. The system seems to use the same e-mail template for sending request to the same reviewer involved in the first round. Is it possible to make a new one for this purpose (second round)?
3. In the current version of OJS, is there any function to identify whether there are users logged in the system? This might help the manager to find the right moment to restart the server after fixing some problems.

Thank you very much.

Best Regards,
Yaliang
yaliang

Return to OJS Technical Support