OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

unable to send and receive emails

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

unable to send and receive emails

Postby drvenkatesanj » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:39 am

Dear Friends,
I have installed, OJS-2.4.3. Initially it was working fine without configuring SMTP.
Now it is not working and even tried by configuring SMTP too, but failed to send mail.
How to find out where the problem actually occurs?
Sincerely,
VJ
drvenkatesanj

Re: unable to send and receive emails

Postby asmecher » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:07 am

Hi VJ,

The easiest way to debug this will be to use local delivery (i.e. disable SMTP), try sending some messages, and then look at your server's email delivery log.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby drvenkatesanj » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:00 pm

Hi Alec,
Did you mean email_log in "phpmyadmin"?
VJ
drvenkatesanj

Postby asmecher » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:58 pm

Hi VJ,

No, I mean the web server's email log. Where this is, and whether you have access to it, will depend on your web server's particulars.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby drvenkatesanj » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:27 am

Dear Alec,
We purchased site from net4india and we do not have access to their server.
While I wrote to them regarding mail delivery failure, they are asking for error message.
Where I can find the error messages for non-delivery of emails from OJS?
VJ
drvenkatesanj

Postby asmecher » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:04 am

Hi VJ,

If you're not seeing any error messages from OJS, chances are the message is being delivered to the mail server and is not making it any further from there. In that case, error messages will be in the mail server's log files, which you may or may not have access to. If you tell your host the exact date and time you tried to send a message, it may help them search.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby drvenkatesanj » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:19 pm

Dear Alec,
I did exactly the same. Now they are asking of any bounce back message.
Do we get any bounce back message? If so where we can locate it.
VJ
drvenkatesanj

Postby drvenkatesanj » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:55 pm

Dear Alec,
Now the hosting service provider says
"we would like to update you that the form mail generated lots of mail that's why its blocked, kindly try to enable captcha on your form mail application"
I went through config.php file, but I could not find captcha setting for mail form. Wether it is possible to have captcha setting for mail form.
If I am right, a suggestion or idea of captcha for mail form will prevent automatically generated messages in the work flow management. I am right.
please suggest me what I should do now.
drvenkatesanj

Postby asmecher » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:22 am

Hi drvenkatesanj,

Can you examine your access log to find out from where in the application the mail was being sent? This will be easier if you can find out from your provider what the email looked like, and when it was sent, so that you can correlate it against the access log.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby drvenkatesanj » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:41 pm

Dear Alec,
Can please guide me, where I need to look for the access log in my site?
VJ.
drvenkatesanj

Postby asmecher » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:05 am

Hi VJ,

Is it possible for you to identify exactly when one of these emails was sent? If your host has already identified this as a problem, they should have some details. It will help to know the exact date and time (down to the second).

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby drvenkatesanj » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:28 pm

Dear Alec,
I am sending the forum discussion to the service provider so that he can help me to solve the problem.
Also I am pasting the latest information we received from the service provider, so that you can help me in fixing the problem
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is reference of your TT, We would like to update you that, if your application generating lots of e-mail within 1 hour or day , it automatically gets blocked the sender id, that's why we are suggest for captcha on your application or if your application doesn't had captcha system , kinldy secure your mail script application so that no one can generate spam mail from your form mail.</br>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
VJ.
drvenkatesanj

Postby drvenkatesanj » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:47 pm

Dear Alec,
The hosting service provider is now asking for mail form application path, so that he will try to solve the problem.
Please find the response received from them below

"This is reference of your TT, we would like to update you that, Kindly provide the form mail application path so that we will monitor your form mail application activity on logs.</br>"

Can you tell me the path to mail form application?

Sincerely,
VJ.
drvenkatesanj

Postby asmecher » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:42 am

Hi VJ,

Unfortunately this is basically the same question I was hoping your provider could answer. There are many places within OJS that can send email; identifying exactly when a spam email was sent, and then correlating that against the access log to find out where the email was sent from, is the only way I can think of to be sure. I don't have that information.

However, if I had to guess, I think the most likely place is implemented in pages/user/EmailHandler.inc.php.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby drvenkatesanj » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:31 pm

Dear Alec,
The hosting provider is till working on restoring the php mail application.
We were actually using gmail account as suggested in the following link to deliver mails from our portal these days.
http://pkp.sfu.ca/wiki/index.php?title=Using_gmail_SMTP
It was working nice till last week. Now it also stopped delivering the mails and an unusual thing is it is not generating the e-mail logs too.
We have already written this too hosting provider asking explanation to this situation and yet to receive a response.
We would like to know weather this is a problem associated with OJS or some efforts taken by the hosting service provider to restore php mail application lead to this situation.
Please clarify and if you have any solution suggest us.
Sincerely,
VJ.
drvenkatesanj

Next

Return to OJS Technical Support