OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Blank pages, scalar values as arrays, + settings not saving

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Blank pages, scalar values as arrays, + settings not saving

Postby vledwards » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:51 pm

So, our journal (jpna.org) is launching in two weeks and I'm about ready to pull my hair out and then break down and cry. Everything was going very smoothly until I went to set up reviewer forms last night, and I found a blank page instead of a settings page when I went to create a reviewer form.

Let's preface this by saying that while I have some experience with C and web development from way back, but I've never dealt with PHP or mySQL before, and I really didn't think I would have to when using OJS. So please, type slowly and be patient with me here.

I've haven't been able to fix my issues just yet through the debugging procedures outlined in the FAQ (nothing in the error log, no real leads with tweaking the functions.inc.php file either). I tried to follow the advice in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10899, but the came into some additional problems..
-When I submit that query in myPHPAdmin (PHP is 5.4.20, mySQL is 5.5.34-cll), I get an error saying to check the manual for the proper syntax near 'LIMIT 0, 30' at line 2. So, I can't see if I have the same problem as the previous user or not - and I'm completely unfamiliar with SQL syntax.
-I was able to clear the data and template cache on the site, but that did no good.
-When I went to disable the citation manager in step 3, my change would not save. I was able to edit other parts of Step 3 and they would save, but whenever I open step 3, the citation manager box remains checked.

What now? Any and all help would be tremendously appreciated.

ETA: I managed to get the query to work, but all I was able to see was one column titled 'setting_name' with 'metaCitations' as its only value. I click on 'Explain SQL' and see the following: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zy3gjfam8gpy0 ... tation.png

Now I'm thinking I'm on the right track, but still lost.

ETA2: Making progress. I got the same thing as the guy in the linked thread, but when I clicked to delete one of the values I got... another syntax error. I think mySQL hates me and I'm starting to look like an idiot, and this request is turning into more of a blog post. I'm now seeing this.. https://www.dropbox.com/s/4oj3s0rowfxpm4j/omgsqlbbq.png

ETA3: I finally found a roundabout way of getting those two entries deleted, and the citation assistant is now disabled. Unfortunately, the 'form items' page still loads as blank when I try to edit the review form, and I'm still clueless on that one. My error log is coming up with the scalar value error, but the log doesn't have an entry since yesterday, which I find puzzling. Sigh. The last class to load before it fails is lib.pkp.classes.notification.NotificationDAO.
vledwards

Re: Blank pages, scalar values as arrays, + settings not sav

Postby asmecher » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:47 pm

Hi vledwards,

The stuff about scalar values etc. is a potential rabbit hole, which it looks like you may have fixed -- it's largely cosmetic and won't cause the blank page you're seeing when dealing with review forms.

That sounds like a PHP error of some kind, and it sounds like it's not one that's showing up in your error logs. Let's see if we can figure out how to debug that methodically.

What version of OJS are you using?

Just to confirm, the only operational problem you're experiencing is the one you first described, where attempting to create a review form as Journal Manager results in a blank page, correct?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby vledwards » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:59 pm

I'm running 2.4.3 - we just installed it a few weeks ago (I'd tested 2.4.2 on another server) and everything had been going swimmingly until last night. PHP memory is set at 100M, so that's not an issue.

And yes, that is the only time I've run into this issue so far, although I seem to recall finding another blank page somewhere in my clicking around and playing with things this afternoon.

Also, I've set the permissions for any files even remotely close to the ones I saw in other error logs (and in the last class to be loaded before it blanked out) to 666 on the fileserver.
vledwards

Postby asmecher » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:27 pm

Hi vledwards,

OK, let's assume you're hitting a PHP error that isn't being displayed for some reason. Your quick modification to print out class names is a good start; let's alter it slightly to see whether or not something is actually dying there.

In lib/pkp/include/functions.inc.php in the "import" function, find the block...
Code: Select all
                if((@include_once BASE_SYS_DIR.'/'.$filePath) === false) {
                        // Oops, we found a legacy include statement,
                        // let's try the include path then.
                        require_once($filePath);
                        if (is_null($deprecationWarning) && class_exists('Config')) {
                                $deprecationWarning = (boolean)Config::getVar('debug', 'deprecation_warnings');
                        }
                        if ($deprecationWarning) trigger_error('Deprecated import of a partially qualified class name.');
                }
Temporarily add above this block...
echo "About to import \"$class\"... ";
...and below it...
echo "Finished.<br/>\n";
This will bracket every import statement with a debug dump. If you see the first half but not the second, you'll have identified which class is having loading problems.

If the debug output ends with "Finished", then you'll know that it's not a file that PHP wasn't able to import for some reason.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby vledwards » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:46 pm

Aha, I found another set of logs in cpanel (I'd been looking at the ones in the OJS directory on the web server). It turned out to be a permission issue, just in a completely different area (the cache subfolders). Easily fixed once I actually found the right logs, but it was a bit of a pain to find.

Here's the error it was throwing - perhaps checking those folder permissions could be added to the 'blank page' section of the FAQ, not just the 'smarty' section? I'd read the FAQ but hadn't made the connection between the two items.

[Wed Feb 26 20:32:35 2014] [error] [client 68.51.56.65] ojs2 has produced an error\n Message: WARNING: include(): Failed opening '/home/wwwjpnao/public_html/cache/t_compile/%%7C^7C7^7C7B4B09%%reviewFormElements.tpl.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/home/wwwjpnao/public_html/classes:/home/wwwjpnao/public_html/pages:/home/wwwjpnao/public_html/lib/pkp:/home/wwwjpnao/public_html/lib/pkp/classes:/home/wwwjpnao/public_html/lib/pkp/pages:/home/wwwjpnao/public_html/lib/pkp/lib/adodb:/home/wwwjpnao/public_html/lib/pkp/lib/phputf8:/home/wwwjpnao/public_html/lib/pkp/lib/pqp/classes:/home/wwwjpnao/public_html/lib/pkp/lib/smarty:.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php')\n In file: /home/wwwjpnao/public_html/lib/pkp/lib/smarty/Smarty.class.php\n At line: 1256\n Stacktrace: \n Server info:\n OS: Linux\n PHP Version: 5.4.25\n Apache Version: Apache/2.2.26 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.26 OpenSSL/1.0.1e-fips mod_bwlimited/1.4 PHP/5.4.25\n DB Driver: mysql\n DB server version: 5.5.35-cll, referer: http://jpna.org/index.php/jpna/manager/editReviewForm/2
[Wed Feb 26 20:32:35 2014] [error] [client 68.51.56.65] ojs2 has produced an error\n Message: WARNING: include(/home/wwwjpnao/public_html/cache/t_compile/%%7C^7C7^7C7B4B09%%reviewFormElements.tpl.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory\n In file: /home/wwwjpnao/public_html/lib/pkp/lib/smarty/Smarty.class.php\n At line: 1256\n Stacktrace: \n Server info:\n OS: Linux\n PHP Version: 5.4.25\n Apache Version: Apache/2.2.26 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.26 OpenSSL/1.0.1e-fips mod_bwlimited/1.4 PHP/5.4.25\n DB Driver: mysql\n DB server version: 5.5.35-cll, referer: http://jpna.org/index.php/jpna/manager/editReviewForm/2
[Wed Feb 26 20:32:35 2014] [error] [client 68.51.56.65] ojs2 has produced an error\n Message: USER ERROR: Smarty error: unable to write to $compile_dir '/home/wwwjpnao/public_html/cache/t_compile'. Be sure $compile_dir is writable by the web server user.\n In file: /home/wwwjpnao/public_html/lib/pkp/lib/smarty/Smarty.class.php\n At line: 1093\n Stacktrace: \n Server info:\n OS: Linux\n PHP Version: 5.4.25\n Apache Version: Apache/2.2.26 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.26 OpenSSL/1.0.1e-fips mod_bwlimited/1.4 PHP/5.4.25\n DB Driver: mysql\n DB server version: 5.5.35-cll, referer: http://jpna.org/index.php/jpna/manager/editReviewForm/2

Thanks so much!
vledwards

Postby asmecher » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:54 pm

Hi vledwards,

Great, glad you got it going.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby shahadat » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:15 pm

I am getting blank page at http://publication.cdrjournal.org/index ... er/plugins
i.e., Home > User > Journal Management >>>System Plugins

asmecher wrote:Hi vledwards,

OK, let's assume you're hitting a PHP error that isn't being displayed for some reason. Your quick modification to print out class names is a good start; let's alter it slightly to see whether or not something is actually dying there.

In lib/pkp/include/functions.inc.php in the "import" function, find the block...
                if((@include_once BASE_SYS_DIR.'/'.$filePath) === false) {
                        // Oops, we found a legacy include statement,
                        // let's try the include path then.
                        require_once($filePath);
                        if (is_null($deprecationWarning) && class_exists('Config')) {
                                $deprecationWarning = (boolean)Config::getVar('debug', 'deprecation_warnings');
                        }
                        if ($deprecationWarning) trigger_error('Deprecated import of a partially qualified class name.');
                }
Temporarily add above this block...
echo "About to import \"$class\"... ";
...and below it...
echo "Finished.<br/>\n";
This will bracket every import statement with a debug dump. If you see the first half but not the second, you'll have identified which class is having loading problems.

If the debug output ends with "Finished", then you'll know that it's not a file that PHP wasn't able to import for some reason.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

I have checked as above...got the result all --- Finished.

My OJS version: 2.4.3.0, OS platform: Linux and Php Version: 5.4.25

Expecting help from experts.
shahadat

Postby asmecher » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:04 am

Hi shahadat,

As per the FAQ, have you checked your system's error log?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby shahadat » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:23 am

I have reinstalled at www.cdrjournal.org and now it works fine....thank you all.
shahadat

Return to OJS Technical Support