OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Server is responding so slowly - OJS 2.3.8

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Server is responding so slowly - OJS 2.3.8

Postby carlaferreira » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:49 am

We wonder why our server is responding so slowly. Tests were performed and showed that the time delay of many magazines is very slow (more than 3 minutes to respond).
Actions such as selecting reviewer (and all on evaluation), select items in the queue processing / editing, e-mails are those that are slow. Our version is 2.3.8. We know that the size of free memory and server are in accordance with the settings and demand.
Any suggestions? What could we do?

Thanks!

Carla Ferreira
Universidade Federal de Goiás
Portal de Periódicos
http://www.revistas.ufg.br
carlaferreira

Re: Server is responding so slowly - OJS 2.3.8

Postby asmecher » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:15 am

Hi Carla,

First, I would suggest upgrading to the most recent stable release. The issue may be fixed there.

Second, the delay is most likely due to a MySQL query; I would suggest enabling the slow query log in your MySQL configuration to record which queries are problematic. Post the results here and I can help debug further.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby carlaferreira » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:33 am

The systems analyst made ​​a brief analysis and found that indeed there is a request made repeatedly in the database that takes a long time to be processed . SQL' code is as follows:

SELECT DISTINCT CAST ('' AS CHAR ) AS url , 0 AS author_id , 0 AS submission_id , CAST ('' AS CHAR ) AS email , 0 AS primary_contact , 0 AS seq, aa.first_name , aa.middle_name , aa.last_name , asl.setting_value affiliation_l AS, asl.locale , aspl.setting_value affiliation_pl AS, AS aspl.locale primary_locale , aa.country FROM authors aa LEFT JOIN author_settings ASPL ON ( aa.author_id = aspl.author_id AND aspl.setting_name = ' affiliation ' AND aspl.locale = ' en_US ' ) LEFT JOIN ON author_settings asl ( aa.author_id = asl.author_id AND asl.setting_name = ' affiliation ' AND asl.locale = ' en_US ' ) LEFT JOIN articles ON ( a.article_id = aa . submission_id ) LEFT JOIN published_articles pa ON ( pa.article_id = a.article_id ) LEFT JOIN issues ON i ( pa.issue_id i.issue_id = ) WHERE 1 = i.published aa.submission_id AND AND pa.article_id = a.article_id = a . article_id AND a.status = 3 AND ( aa.last_name IS NOT NULL AND aa.last_name < >'' ) AND LOWER ( aa.last_name ) LIKE LOWER ( '%' ) ORDER BY aa.last_name , aa.first_name LIMIT 10100 25

function that generates one slow request:

is getAuthorsAlphabetizedByJournal , the classes / article / AuthorDAO.inc.php file.

Description of function , according to the file itself :

" Retrieve all published authors for a journal in an associative array by the first letter of the last name "
" Keys Will Appear in sorted order . Que Note if journalId is null , alphabetized authors for all journals are returned . "

What you suggest in this case to be done?

Thanks for help!
carlaferreira

Postby asmecher » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:47 am

Hi Carla,

I don't think this is the query that's responsible for the system in general operating slowly. This query is for the "Browse By Author" list, and while it can be a heavy query, it's cached and should only be fully executed occasionally. It won't be required for the editorial process, which is where you report slow performance.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby carlaferreira » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:00 am

Thank you, I'll do that.

Thanks.
carlaferreira

Return to OJS Technical Support