OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Password for a Static Page

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Password for a Static Page

Postby grandpol » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:20 am

Dear PKP Team,

I am planning to create a static page for our "Section Editors" which will contain information about the internal process.

So, Now I am planning to create a static page which can be opened with the password (or user name with password).

Is it possible to create a static page with password ? If so, where and what should do ?

Thank you,
Grandy
grandpol

Re: Password for a Static Page

Postby JasonNugent » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:57 am

Hi Grandy,

Did you mean a page with a form on it for logging in, or a page specifically protected by an .htaccess file? All 'pages' served by OJS are actually just dynamic content generated via page handlers and operations, even static pages via the static page plugin. You might be able to use .htaccess and a directive that requires an authentication for a specific URL pattern. I can help further if you describe how you'd like to see it function.

Regards,
Jason
JasonNugent
Site Admin

Postby grandpol » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:48 pm

Hi Jason,

Thank you for the reply.

I will explain, I have a static page called "Section Editor" which contains some instructions for section editors and others dont want to see this content.

So I need to give password for this static page not forms.

Thank you,
Grandy
grandpol

Postby JasonNugent » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:23 am

Hi Grandy,

In such a case, I'd use the <Location> directive for Apache to force password authentication for that specific URL. You'd add something like this to your Apache's httpd.conf file:

Code: Select all
<Location /url/path/to/your/static/page>
    AuthType basic
    AuthName "private area"
    AuthFile /path/to/your/.htpasswd
    require valid-user
</Location>

And build your .htpasswd file as per the standard way of doing so, with the supplied tools from Apache (the htpasswd command).

Regards,
Jason
JasonNugent
Site Admin

Return to OJS Technical Support