OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

A database error has occurred: No such file or directory

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

A database error has occurred: No such file or directory

Postby azaenen » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:42 pm

I get this error message when trying to install ojs. This is a first time installation. I know that this error message has come up before but the answer given to it does not solve my problem. I have no option to install this manually. The version of OJS I am using is 2.4.3.0; the version of MySQL is 5.6.15 for the Mac. On the MySQL side everything looks fine: the selected database is there, the user ID is recognized.
I have been fiddling around with this for three afternoons and am getting quite desperate. Is there at least a way to get a more informative error message?
azaenen

Re: A database error has occurred: No such file or directory

Postby asmecher » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:57 am

Hi azaenen,

That message is coming back from MySQL, and appears to be something similar to this issue. I'd suggest checking your MySQL error log to see if it's getting logged there; it's possible that you'll find more information there. In any case, it looks like that message is coming during the MySQL connect process; another option would be to test that out manually using a small script like in the above link.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Re: A database error has occurred: No such file or directory

Postby azaenen » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:04 pm

Thanks for your help. I found the solution following the link in your reply. When mysql server starts on MacOS X 10.9 (Mavericks) it creates a socket in /tmp/mysql.sock but the OJS installer expects to find it in /var/mysql. The solution to the problem was this:

sudo tcsh
mkdir /var/mysql
cd /var/mysql
ln -s /tmp/mysql.sock mysql.sock

With the soft link in place, the installation of OJS completed successfully.
azaenen

Return to OJS Technical Support