OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Editor-author email templates

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Editor-author email templates

Postby shubhash » Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:41 pm

On page:
Home > User > Editor > Submissions > #articleno. > Review

The Editor has an option to notify the author of the accept/reject decision. When the editor clicks on the little envelop that says "Notify Author", a blank email form shows up. Why isn't the "EDITOR_REVIEW" email template being used here? Is the email form meant to be blank or somehow the template was not meant to be used here? Or is it a bug? If so, can an email template be created for this purpose? What should be the name (id) of this email template?
shubhash

Postby John » Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:29 pm

Shubhash
Currently, the Notify Author email turns up blank because (a) we did want a form letter going with such an important bit of correspondence for the author and (b) there are 4 variations in the decision that the editor makes. We have been rethinking this, and will provide editors with an abiltiy to create 4 email templates which they will be able to import into this email, just as they can do with the reviewers' reports. This option will be available most likely in OJS 2.2. In the meantime, the Journal Manager can create default emails for this task to store in Default Emails, which Editors who are also JM can access as needed.
Thanks
John

Postby shubhash » Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:35 pm

Thanks John. That makes it pretty clear.
shubhash

Postby simonk » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:37 am

Based on this thread, I created a new email template in Journal Management > Prepared Emails (is this what John refers to as Default Emails - or am I in the wrong place?) to notify the author of our accept/reject decision.

I can't figure out how Editors (who are also Journal Managers, per John's post) would be able to send this.

Thanks for the help, it's much appreciated.
simonk

Postby John » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:54 am

Simonk
Until the release of OJS 2.2, when the editor's decision prepared emails will be in place, the work around is to create the prepared email and as JM copy it, and as Editor paste it in to the Editor/Author Email. Not very satisfactory, I realize, especially 2.2 still a number of months away from release.
John

Postby jmir » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:24 pm

I am glad I am not the only one running into this huge issue (viewtopic.php?t=1678). It is actually a quite significant problem, as editor-to-author emails are obviously one of the most frequently sent emails.
If somebody has solved this problem i.e. hacked a quick fix for this (even the ability to preload a single email template, from which the editor can manually remove the parts which are not fitting), please let me know and share the code.
I assume it should be relatively trivial to patch/hack this in, given that the functionality to create email templates already exists!
We cannot wait until OJS2.2 and copying & pasting from other files is just too time-consuming.

John wrote:Simonk
Until the release of OJS 2.2, when the editor's decision prepared emails will be in place, the work around is to create the prepared email and as JM copy it, and as Editor paste it in to the Editor/Author Email. Not very satisfactory, I realize, especially 2.2 still a number of months away from release.
jmir

Re: Editor-author email templates

Postby svillanueva » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:53 am

Hello,

i've read the thread and I conclude that there's no template for the e-mail that the Section Editor (SE) sends to the author to indicate the final decision on the paper. And neither the new OJS 2.2.0 version does not have this template. So, the solution is to create a template and, as a SE, going to the following url (for example):

http://pathto.ojs/user/email?template=P ... ET_CONFIRM

and copy-pasting the body of the e-mail. Then, all the code such as {$principalContactSignature} should be entered manually? Any other solution? Are there any plans to add a template for the editor's decision?

Thanks,

Sergi Villanueva.
svillanueva

Re: Editor-author email templates

Postby jmacgreg » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:52 pm

Hi Sergi,

We are working towards adding template functionality for the submission decision notification email. You can keep track of the following bug:

http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=2677

It was a feature that was originally going to be incorporated into OJS 2.2, but got deferred.

So for now you're left with the option of copy/pasting information into the submission decision email; and yes, you'll have to enter any normally automatically-generated information (anything in {$}) manually.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Return to OJS Technical Support