OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Issue ordering and special characters on import

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Issue ordering and special characters on import

Postby jamilj » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:28 am

Hello,

I am quite confused about how issues are ordered. I'm importing about 700 issues of a journal and I cannot get the system to sort by the actual issue and volume. I have the Vol-Issue-Year boxes checked in Issue Data, and in my settings I have the same three boxes set. Yet, no matter what I do, the journal does not sort correctly. It seems to default to the import time or OJS issue ID. Any help is much appreciated.

I have quite a few authors with diacritic symbols in their names. What is the proper way to import such names? Oxygen outputs an error when I use HTML entities. Then I also get an character encoding error (in BBEdit) when I allow diacritic characters. In the latter case, the characters do not import correctly. I have not tried the former. I cannot tell if CDATA is allowed for authors as Oxygen allows it sometimes and it still fails.
jamilj

Re: Issue ordering and special characters on import

Postby asmecher » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:46 am

Hi jamilj,

Issue ordering is not fixed to any of the attached metadata; it's possible to order issues arbitrarily. Typically it's best to import them in sequence and include multiple issues in the appropriate sequence in the XML import file. If that's not possible, you can re-order issues manually in the Editor's interface, or in the DB by looking at the custom_issue_orders table. (The specific query that lists issues in the archive is in classes/issue/IssueDAO.inc.php in the getPublishedIssues() function, if you're curious.)

To import accented characters, just make sure your XML editor is set to UTF8; you should be able to work with UTF8 accented characters directly, i.e. there's no need to encode them as HTML entities.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Return to OJS Technical Support