OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

OJS Will Not Load

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

OJS Will Not Load

Postby kgloves » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:01 pm

Hey everyone, hopefully you can all help.

When I enter the url for my website (uses OJS) it comes up as a blank white page. I called the hosting company and they told me that nothing appears wrong, we had not been hacked, etc. The site was working fine one week ago and I am the only one with access to work on the site. The previous assistant editor had set this all up two years ago, so I am really in the dark here. Any help is greatly appreciated.

If you follow this link you will see what I mean: http://newmalestudies.com/OJS/
kgloves

Re: OJS Will Not Load

Postby asmecher » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:00 pm

Hi kgloves,

Check the FAQ.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby kgloves » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:23 pm

Hey Alec,

I have taken a look at the FAQ, but I'm not sure if any of the categories up there can help me out. There is no section for "whole website will not load." The closest category I could find pertained to links leading to blank pages, but I can't even get to the homepage of the site. I spoke with the hosting company tech team, but they said that nothing appears to be wrong. The whole site is unavailable and I cannot do any kind of work on it. I'm really lost here.
kgloves

Postby asmecher » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:06 pm

Hi kgloves,

The Q&A that should answer this is http://pkp.sfu.ca/wiki/index.php/PKP_Frequently_Asked_Questions#When_I_click_some_button_or_follow_some_link.2C_I.27m_left_with_a_blank_page._What_do_I_do.3F. A blank page typically indicates that a PHP error has occurred, and usually there's a message in the server's PHP error log to indicate what happened. If not, there are some further steps on that entry to be taken one at a time.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby kgloves » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:28 pm

Hello Alec,

I contacted the host once again and indeed there is something wrong with the code that they did not catch the first time. This message "[Thu Sep 26 10:07:44 2013] [error] [client 46.118.159.187] File does not exist: /home/newmal5/public_html/administrator, referer: http://newmalestudies.com/administrator/index.php" is popping up. I will see what I can do with this.
kgloves

Postby asmecher » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:40 pm

Hi kgloves,

Have you overridden the base URL in your config.inc.php configuration file? Are you using mod_rewrite to simplify the URLs? If so, try clearing out those elements temporarily to see if that starts the system responding again. And in case the server's CGI configuration has changed, try temporarily turning on the "path_info_disabled" setting in config.inc.php. Those would be the first places I'd look.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby kgloves » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:52 pm

Alec,

I have never worked on the code of the site until today (I am a lowly editor masquerading as a tech guy). As far as I know I am the only one with access to the control panel where I can make these changes. I have never overridden the base URL or used mod_rewrite. I tried turning on the "path_info_disabled" but still nothing. No one on staff has been working on the back end of the site like this for two years. I am worried we were hacked.
kgloves

Postby asmecher » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:28 am

Hi kgloves,

Do you have anyone handy who is comfortable working with PHP and server administration? If you have indeed been hacked, it'll be tricky to diagnose and clean up. If not, please PM me.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Return to OJS Technical Support