OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

DOI issue

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

DOI issue

Postby Makso » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:28 am

Hi,

I have gone through other DOI issues, but wasn't able to find one similar to mine. So I'd appreciate all suggestions.

When I enable the DOI plugin, it gives me the possibility to enter the DOI under the metadata of the article. However, it only has a limited number of spaces. Specifically, our DOIs go like this: prefix(10.xxxx)/suffix(xxxxx-xxxx)-volume(xx)-year(xxxx)-article(xxxx) [disregard the words]. This means that our DOIs contain 19 numbers that follow the prefix. However, the field lets me enter only 17 numbers.

When I want to enter the DOI as Editor (in the field that appears in the Contents), it does let me enter all the numbers, but then the links to all of the articles (regardless of the fact that they all have different DOIs) lead to the same article (one published in a previous issue).

I know it doesn't make any sense, but if anyone has any ideas what I'm doing wrong, I'd be grateful for their comments.

Thank you.
Makso

Re: DOI issue

Postby swing » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:22 pm

Hi Makso,

Yes, you are right, the suffix input field is defined to be max 20 characters. I could increase it, so that you could enter all the numbers/characters. I will publish a patch soon and let you know then.

For the second issue you mentioned: I don't understand which links are leading to the same article? This sounds very strange... Is this maybe online so I could see it?

Best,
Bozana Bokan
swing

Postby Makso » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:30 am

yes, we are available online. please go to http://arhiv.imi.hr

I have added DOIs to two different articles in order to illustrate my problem.

So, under "Archives", choose the 2012/4 issue and try to open either of the first two scientific papers (Tozlovanu et al. & Waskiewicz et al.). You'll see that both of these articles lead to an entirely different article (it's always the same one). This happens with any article that is assigned a DOI.

I would be grateful for any input as to why this is happening

Thanks
Makso

Postby swing » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:42 pm

Hi Makso,

Ah OK. These are two different issues:
1. The DOI suffix was constrained to be max 20 characters long. I removed that constrain. You can find the bug entry and the solution here: http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=8428
2. Unfortunately you cannot use "/" (from the DOI) for the article URL. Article URLs are constructed like this: ...article/view/<articleID>. Galleys URLs are constructed like this: ...article/view/<articleID>/<galleyID>. Having articleID = 10.1234/12345-1234-12-1234-1234 means that OJS thinks the articleID is 10.1234 and galleyID is 12345-1234-12-1234-1234. Thus, in this case OJS can not find the right object and redirects to the home page.

Best
Bozana Bokan
swing

Postby Makso » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:16 am

Thank you very much.
Makso

Return to OJS Technical Support