OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Windows setup - OJS preparation

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Windows setup - OJS preparation

Postby tjpok » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:52 pm

This is mainly an amateur question, but I really want an answer, the time that OJS is my only solution as long as my HTML and database skills are poor. I want some detailed guidelines on how to install OJS, concerning the very first part of requirements even before that part... viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2967. I don't know where to put my commands in the options given by my webhost, a friend of mine suggested using XAMPP for windows 7 and uploading the files to my webspace afterwards.
tjpok

Re: Windows setup - OJS preparation

Postby asmecher » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:07 am

Hi tjpok,

There is a fairly concise walkthrough at http://pkp.sfu.ca/files/docs/quickreference/quickreference.pdf with a description of all the pieces included. However, the commands are intended for a *NIX or MacOSX environment, and will be slightly different for Windows. I note that there's a Windows walkthrough at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex5lmIzvpEc but it's not done in English.

XAMPP is not a bad idea, but I worry that you're about to start on a pretty steep learning curve -- you'll need to know about Apache, MySQL, PHP, and some basic server administration, and you'll have to learn it all at once. If you have a connection who can help walk you through the installation, it's a lot like Wordpress or Drupal or any other PHP application. Keep in mind that you'll have to maintain the installation (backups, upgrades, etc.) so just getting it running is only part of the puzzle.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby tjpok » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:49 pm

Well, currently I got it FULLY working on XAMPP the problem is that I know little of who to choose in terms of site hosting and no big domain provider seems to offer trial regitrations along with webspace. Another question, can I change the ---.com/ojs/index.php/bmr/index directory, which is the main page of my "bmr" journal to ---.com/index or something similar to it-easy for the others to remind.
tjpok

Postby asmecher » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:14 pm

Hi tjpok,

You can use an Apache module called mod_rewrite to accomplish this -- there are lots of threads about it in these forums. Be warned that it's tricky to configure.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Return to OJS Technical Support