OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

All issues "lost" after upgrade 2.3.1.0 to 2.4.2.0

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

All issues "lost" after upgrade 2.3.1.0 to 2.4.2.0

Postby CFreire » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:35 pm

Hi everybody (how long…!:o):

I tried to upgrade from 2.3.1.0 to 2.4.2.0.
First, I got 5 error messages "Hunk # failed" when I applied the patch "ojs-2.3.1-1_to_2.4.2.patch" (downloaded through system information).
Then I tried to install one new full version (Full Package instructions). No errors during installation, but… a "single" problem: I lost all previous editions (2 journals, more then 20 issues).
Apparently, the data remains in database, but I noticed that some tables have been renamed...

Any suggestions besides reinstalling the previous version complete?
I have a backup of the table 2.3.1.0 and public archives.

Thanks a lot and best regards,

Carlos Freire
CFreire

Re: All issues "lost" after upgrade 2.3.1.0 to 2.4.2.0

Postby asmecher » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:44 pm

Hi Carlos,

How did you run the upgrade process? It should take care of renaming tables etc.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby CFreire » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:09 pm

Hi, Alec:

I upgraded by the book (Full Package).
But I did not understand your answer about "take care of renaming tables"... We have instructions on this ...?
Anyway, I saw that I now have in the "new" database an table named "issue_old".
I renamed this table to "issue", but recovered only partially editions (cover and basic data editing). Articles (table of contents), no.
Any more table to renaming?

Thanks again and regards, Carlos
CFreire

Postby asmecher » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:32 pm

Hi Carlos,

If you see an ..._old table, it suggests that the upgrade didn't finish -- any temporary tables like this should be cleaned up when the upgrade process finishes. Did you run the upgrade via the web, or via the command-line? Did it give you an "Upgrade successful" message at the end?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby CFreire » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:55 am

Hi, Alec:

I was not completely honest with you ... apparently messed up on my first attempt (update via patch), which not only resulted in errors "Hunter", but also in mysql error - from what I understand, the inclusion/updating data in some table (error on line 1 .. .).
My bullshit: I insisted on update via patch though alerted of errors "Hunter" by "dry-run". Result: update failed.

Only then I tried the Full Package.
Now, I have several tables "_old" in the database.

What would you suggest:

1 - rename all these tables (I guess also some columns / data type) or:

2 - Delete the new installation and redo it, step by step, that is:
- Redo the table from the old backup;
- Reinstall the version 2.3.1.0;
- Redo the update just by Full Package;

Thanks again and regards,

Carlos
CFreire

Postby asmecher » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:33 am

Hi Carlos,

Your secret is safe with me :)

Is your backup recent, or will you be losing data by returning to it? If it's a backup made just before the upgrade attempt, then the best thing to do is restore to that and run the upgrade process.

If your backup is old, then we might be able to identify how far through the process you got before the backup failed -- but this will be more complicated. Do you have the error message that MySQL gave you during the first upgrade attempt?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby CFreire » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:29 am

Hi, Alec:

Fortunately, the backup is very recent (I left page "under maintenance" before attempting the upgrade). So, I will restore. Thanks for the advice.
One last question (I hope).
The system information indicates that the previous version was installed 2.3.1.0, and I not found this version to download on the site. Which version should I reinstall: 2.3.0 or 2.3.1-2?

In time:
With the exception of "errors Hunter", the only message during the first upgrade process was "mysql error on line 1", but without specifying which page / table.
I think I've tried to install (last year, I believe) version 2.3.6, because I have their full file. Unsuccessfully, of course ...
Last but ... Thanks also for keeping my secret :lol:

Regards,
Carlos
CFreire

Postby asmecher » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:34 am

Hi Carlos,

If you're planning to continue trying to upgrade to 2.4.2, no need to restore the installation files from any previous version -- just restore your old database and keep working with the 2.4.2 code.

What version of MySQL are you using? If it's very old, that might be the problem. You might also be able to get more information on the database error by turning on the "debug" option in config.inc.php before starting the upgrade process. It'll be very verbose but should cause the problematic SQL query to be dumped at the end of the output.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby CFreire » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:13 pm

Hi Alec,

Ok, if you say to just redo the database... I will try again with the debug on.
MySql version is 5.0.77, protocol 10. Not too old, I think.

Regards,
Carlos
CFreire

Postby asmecher » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:15 pm

Hi Carlos,

MySQL 5.x ought to be just fine.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby CFreire » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:39 am

Hi, Alec, unfortunately I'm back ...

Reinstalled the old database without problems. I did not succeed in upgrading (full package).
Errors (details in the pdf file attached):
- Some messages 'Table does not exist' (no big problem, I think);
- Last error message: DB Error: Duplicate entry 'interest-4096-318' for key 2

When you return to the site this still had not been carried.

Some way?

Regards,
Carlos
Attachments
installUpgrade.pdf
(766.47 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
CFreire

Postby asmecher » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:18 am

Hi Carlos,

This is getting further than before, but you've got a data error. First, you can disable the "debug" message for now; that'll cut down on the volume of messages and also some worrying-sounding but normal messages like the "table does not exist" message. I suspect the interests problem is the same as the one documented here: http://pkp.sfu.ca/support/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10065&start=15#p39197

Could you follow that thread and see if the same resolution works?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby CFreire » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:35 am

Alec, I'm a little confused (big news!) ... Have (more) bear with me, please ... :oops:
Apologize in advance for all these issues, (not sure if they correspond to the "duty" of support).

A question about the easiest solution: what is the consequence to the reviewer's page of not migrating those data?

About the second solution, which seemed to me (am I right?) the most correct to avoid errors in future upgrades, I found 256 duplicate entries in user_settings - some with up to 3 "locales".
In most cases:
- Relating to "pt_BR" and "en_US" locales (respectively, default locales of the only two journals);
- Only in the few "setting_value" is <> ' ';
- Ditto the "assoc_type" > 0;

So I ask, if possible:
- What is the consequence of this deletion on the page of the reviewers;
- What is the best criterion as follows: priority "setting_value" <> ' ' or default locale of the reviewer (hard work on this case, but... :cry: )?

Regards,
Carlos
CFreire

Postby CFreire » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:56 pm

Hi, Alec:

It did not work again ... did the two procedures indicated in the post:
- First, just removing duplicate entries -> then upgrade;
- Second, also commenting the specified codes in dbscripts/xml/upgrade.xml -> then upgrade.

I got the same answer for both: mysql error 1064. Details in the attached file (errors in red).

Note:
- This time, resulted in only one table "_old" in the database: "notifications_old";
- The error seems obvious: the current database does not have a table "article_notes" that can be changed ...

Some other way?

Regards, Carlos
Attachments
errors_upgrade.pdf
(30.46 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
CFreire

Postby CFreire » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:15 am

Hi, Alec:

I redid all the steps again (restoring from backup, clear duplicate entries and update with commented codes).
Result: Internal Server Error.

Main lines of the server error log (phperror.log):

[24-Jun-2013 12:27:23] PHP Warning: PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library '/bin/lsd/php-5.2.13-1/libexec/mysql_pdo.so' - /bin/lsd/php-5.2.13-1/libexec/mysql_pdo.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory in Unknown on line 0

[24-Jun-2013 12:27:25] ojs2 has produced an error
Message: WARNING: assert() [<a href='function.assert'>function.assert</a>]: Assertion failed
In file: /periodicos.proped.pro.br/www/lib/pkp/classes/db/DBDataXMLParser.inc.php
At line: 154

[24-Jun-2013 12:28:08] ojs2 has produced an error
Message: WARNING: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /periodicos.proped.pro.br/www/lib/pkp/lib/adodb/adodb.inc.php:377)
In file: /periodicos.proped.pro.br/www/lib/pkp/classes/template/PKPTemplateManager.inc.php
At line: 342

For all WARNING:
Stacktrace:
Server info:
PHP Version: 5.2.13
Apache Version: N/A
DB Driver: mysql

More details in the attached file.

Regards,
Carlos
Attachments
phperror_log.pdf