OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Migrating OJS to Editorial Manager

Are you responsible for making OJS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, btbell, michael, bdgregg, barbarah, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OJS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OJS Editorial Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Migrating OJS to Editorial Manager

Postby migueldelrio » Thu May 23, 2013 7:56 am

Hello,

Our journals recently signed with a new publisher, and the manuscript management system they use is Editorial Manager. Some of our journals were using OJS and we would like to know if it's possible to export all data from OJS and import it into Editorial Manager.

I would deeply appreciate any comments or suggestions on this.

Thank you very much in advance!
migueldelrio

Re: Migrating OJS to Editorial Manager

Postby asmecher » Thu May 23, 2013 9:13 am

Hi migueldelrio,

I'm not familiar with Editorial Manager, but on the OJS side, it'll depend on what you need to migrate. The XML import/export formats don't include in-progress submissions, so if you need to migrate editorial process content (e.g. peer reviews), you'll have to go to the database. If you just need published content, then you can use OJS's import/export XML formats, but it's unlikely that Editorial Manager will accept any of these directly, so you'll probably have to go through some interim conversion process e.g. via XSL.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Re: Migrating OJS to Editorial Manager

Postby migueldelrio » Thu May 23, 2013 9:25 am

Dear Alec,

Thank you very much for your reply. Although we still have to specify which data we need, I can safely say that we would definitely need all peer-review history and current reviews, as well as all contact data such as reviewers and Editors' email addresses and email history; we would not need anything related to content (we do not publish any content on OJS).

In any case, I will pass on the information your provided to our tech contacts, and get back with any comments or queries.

Thank you very much!

asmecher wrote:Hi migueldelrio,

I'm not familiar with Editorial Manager, but on the OJS side, it'll depend on what you need to migrate. The XML import/export formats don't include in-progress submissions, so if you need to migrate editorial process content (e.g. peer reviews), you'll have to go to the database. If you just need published content, then you can use OJS's import/export XML formats, but it's unlikely that Editorial Manager will accept any of these directly, so you'll probably have to go through some interim conversion process e.g. via XSL.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
migueldelrio

Return to OJS Technical Support