OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Enforce publication in a series

Are you responsible for making OMP work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OMP:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OMP Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OMP Development subforum.

Enforce publication in a series

Postby stefan » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:00 am

Hi,

We organized our press decentrally. The work is done by series editors. We do not accept submissions that are not in a series. Is it possible to make the selection of a series obligatory?

Thanks

Stefan
stefan

Re: Enforce publication in a series

Postby asmecher » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:44 am

Hi Stefan,

In classes/submission/form/SubmissionSubmitStep1Form.inc.php you should see the following line of code...
Code: Select all
$seriesOptions = array('0' => __('submission.submit.selectSeries')) + $seriesDao->getTitlesByPressId($this->context->getId());
Removing the array containing the submission.submit.selectSeries key will result in the "Select a series..." line being removed from the selection (and thus the first series will become a default). Alternately, to add a required field, see the "$this->addCheck" lines higher up in the class -- those define the required fields and set parameters around their enforcement.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby stefan » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:29 am

OK. Thanks. I had a look at the code, but I do not know how to implement the second option. I think the second option would be the right one to choose since otherwise the editors of the first series get all the submissions of people who do not read carefully.

$this->addCheck(new FormValidator($this, 'seriesId', 'required', 'user.authorization.userGroupRequired'));

What about the last field? This is a warning that I would have to implement myself, wouldn't I?

As for the number of the book in a series. Does it make sense to ask the submitter for this? The submitter only knows the stuff that is published. But there could be ten things in the pipeline, so no way to determine the number the book will end up with in case it is accepted.

Best Stefan
stefan

Postby asmecher » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:11 am

Hi Stefan,

The last field ("user.authorization.userGroupRequired") is a locale key, which maps to text in various languages. For English, you can add that key to locale/en_US/locale.xml; for German, locale/de_DE/locale.xml.

Frankly I'm not especially familiar with monograph publication but the suggestion for that piece of metadata came from one of the presses we work with; I suspect every press is a little different and I'm not surprised that field isn't always relevant. You can hide it fairly easily by commenting out that part of the template -- Smarty's template comment tags are "{*" and "*}" for begin and end. In this case you can comment out the entire contents of templates/submission/form/series.tpl to hide that field.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby stefan » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:01 am

OK. Thanks. I added the following line:

$this->addCheck(new FormValidator($this, 'series', 'required', 'submission.submit.form.seriesRequired'));

and defined the message for English in locale/en_US/submission.xml

But now the submission just hangs when I press save and continue:

http://langsci-press.org/omp/index.php/ ... ographId=3
stefan

Postby asmecher » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:29 am

Hi Stefan,

What do you mean by "hangs"? Does it keep loading indefinitely, or serve up a blank page? Have you checked your server's error log?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby stefan » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:14 am

Save and continue gets greyed out and next to it a circle is shown. When I press reload the error message about the unselected series appears that should have appeared right away. This happens both with firefox and with safari.
stefan

Postby asmecher » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:18 am

Hi Stefan,

Check your error log to see if there's anything relevant there.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby stefan » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:40 pm

Nothing in the error log.

Would it be possible to include a check for the series in the main trunk of OMP? My hoster (CEDIS) will not accept OMP versions that do not come from PKP.

Best

Stefan
stefan

Postby asmecher » Wed May 29, 2013 2:28 pm

Hi Stefan,

Sorry for the delay -- I must've missed your response.

What's happening is that OMP is making a sub-request on the javascript side of things, and it's getting a response that it doesn't know what to do with.

To debug this, you'll need some kind of developer toolset that will allow you to inspect individual subrequests and their results. Either you could PM me with credentials and instructions to have a look at that request, or you could install Firebug for Firefox and look at it yourself. Let me know what's best for you.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Return to OMP Technical Support