OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

self-registering as reviewer does not work

Are you responsible for making OMP work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OMP:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OMP Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OMP Development subforum.

self-registering as reviewer does not work

Postby carola » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:04 am

Hi,

when I check Register As .. Reviewer and Author in the profile I will only be registered as an author. When I return to the profile, the box for the Author is still checked, the box for the Reviewer is unchecked. Self-Registration is very essential for us, I hope there is a solution to this problem. In management -> User&Roles -> Site Access Options authors and reviewers are selected for self-registration.

Self-registration as a reviewer works when registering to omp (not in the profile), but as soon as I change roles in the profile, reviewer roles are deleted.

Is it right that you can only self register as one author? We have more than one role with author permission level and we need to be able to self-register as more than just one at a time. Why is this not possible?

best,
Carola
carola

Re: self-registering as reviewer does not work

Postby asmecher » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:30 am

Hi Carola,

Which release of OMP are you using?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby carola » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:34 am

carola

Postby asmecher » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:23 am

Hi Carola,

I've created a bug entry to review whether or not author self-registration of several roles should be allowed:
http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=8856

In the meantime, making that change yourself is fairly straight-forward. The template is in lib/pkp/templates/user/register.tpl and the form class is in lib/pkp/classes/user/form/PKPRegistrationForm.inc.php. In both cases there's a block of code to handle Reviewer roles, then a block of code to handle Author roles; the only difference in handling between the two is that the Reviewer code supports multiple roles and the Author role does not. Reconcile the Author handling code using the Reviewer code as a template.

For the Reviewer role not appearing to stay checked when returning to the Profile form, are you working with an OMP installation that has several presses? Is it possible that the user has self-registered as a Reviewer in one press, but is viewing the Profile form with another one selected in the dropdown at the top? (We've already spec'd out an improvement to the behavior of the Profile form and the top navigation bar to alleviate this kind of confusion.)

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby carola » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:03 am

asmecher wrote:Hi Carola,

I've created a bug entry to review whether or not author self-registration of several roles should be allowed:
http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=8856

Thank you! But it's only limited to one author role when registering with omp! Via the profile, you can self-register as more than one author.

asmecher wrote:For the Reviewer role not appearing to stay checked when returning to the Profile form, are you working with an OMP installation that has several presses?

No, I only have one press. I assume it really is a bug.

And please also consider self-registration for the reader role!

best,
Carola
carola

Postby asmecher » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:01 am

Hi Carola,

I've attempted to replicate the problem as described and couldn't, so I'm trying to determine whether there are other factors at play. If you log in as administrator or manager, can you confirm by editing the user whether the reviewer does actually have the reviewer role? I'm wondering whether it's the registration form (where the role is originally granted) or the profile form (where the reviewer can verify what roles they have) that's broken.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby carola » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:50 pm

asmecher wrote:Hi Carola,

I've attempted to replicate the problem as described and couldn't

That's a good start. I also tried to replicate it with two other versions (another local version and one live version on a remote server) but I could. But I also found a restriction: only those reviewer-roles are removed that are marked for self-registration. E.g, I have three reviewer roles, A and B with self-registration, C without. I assign A,B,C to me, go to the profile, remove A. Go back to management -> users&roles and then I don't have A and B anymore, but still C.

asmecher wrote:If you log in as administrator or manager, can you confirm by editing the user whether the reviewer does actually have the reviewer role?

I always also had a look at management -> users&roles. So it's not just the form. It's strange that you can't replicate it. Maybe if you have two reviewer roles with self-registration, it will "work"?

best,
Carola
carola

Postby asmecher » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:06 pm

Hi Carola,

Ah, I've been using our internal stable branch which is equivalent to OMP 1.1.0 with some fixes applied. It looks like this has already been fixed. See the patch at http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=8715 (and please report back your results).

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby carola » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:53 am

Hi Alec,

thank you very much. It works!

Carola
carola

Return to OMP Technical Support