OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Reader Permission Level

Are you responsible for making OMP work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, asmecher

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OMP:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OMP Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OMP Development subforum.

Reader Permission Level

Postby carola » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:29 am

Hi,

the userguide (http://pkp.sfu.ca/wiki/index.php/OMP_Userguide) says:

There are five levels of permissions/access that a role can have: ...

But in Management -> Users&Roles -> Roles -> Create new role, there is an additional permission level: reader.

1. What is a reader allowed to do/see?
2. Why can't a reader register him/herself as reader (box ' Allow user self-registration' can't be selected)
3. I need a user who has no special rights but can register him/herself. Is there a way to achieve that?
4. I would also need proofreaders to be able to register him/herself. Why can reviewers to that, but proofreaders can't?
5. Why do I need to assign at least one stage to a role, is there a way to avoid that?
6. Where can I delete a role I just created?

best,
Carola
carola

Re: Reader Permission Level

Postby asmecher » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:42 am

Hi Carola,

The reader role is an idea inherited from OJS, though it may not be fully realized in OMP yet. It's intended to be a placeholder to indicate that the user is interested in a specific press on a site that might have many. OMP has a user pool shared between all presses, and in cases where a user isn't actively involved in the workflow (e.g. as an author or reviewer) it's convenient to know which presses they're associated with. If I recall correctly from OJS, when a user registers for a certain journal, they're automatically granted a reader role if they don't choose anything else.

Workflow roles such as proofreaders aren't allowed self-registration because the press typically controls the list of users carefully. Could you describe your workflow here? Likewise, could you describe your requirement for roles without stages?

Stage deletion isn't currently available in OMP 1.1, but should be included in the next release (IIRC it's already implemented in the code repository).

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowedge Project Team
asmecher

Postby carola » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:12 am

Thank you, Alec!

asmecher wrote:If I recall correctly from OJS, when a user registers for a certain journal, they're automatically granted a reader role if they don't choose anything else.

In omp you can be registered without having any role. That would be a possible state for users that are not involved in the workflow, but we would prefer to be able to name these user groups and make a distinction between them. For instance, we have "readers" who will be informed about new publications immediately and we have supporters, who will appear on a public supporter list and will be informed about all new publications in a certain time period via a newsletter. Our problem is that users with a role with readers permission aren't allowed self-registration.

asmecher wrote:Workflow roles such as proofreaders aren't allowed self-registration because the press typically controls the list of users carefully.

yes, but reviewers also have a workflow-role and are allowed self-registration. As long as I don't associate a proofreader with a certain submission (via participants), they can't intervene or do I miss something here? We need readers, supporters, proofreaders, typesetters and reviewers to be allowed self-registration. We now may work around this by only assigning roles with reviewer permission level and then assign specific stages to that roles. But having reviewers without access to the reviewing stage is strange. An that won't work for readers and supporters because I need to assign at least one stage.

asmecher wrote:Stage deletion isn't currently available in OMP 1.1, but should be included in the next release (IIRC it's already implemented in the code repository).

You mean role deletion? It would be good to be able to delete them. Currently we are testing many possible role/stage assignment combination and thus there's quiet a mess with all those roles.

best,
Carola
carola

Postby asmecher » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:48 am

Hi Carola,

Thanks for the details -- I've filed the reader role for some attention at http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=8849.

Stage deletion isn't currently available in OMP 1.1, but should be included in the next release (IIRC it's already implemented in the code repository).

You mean role deletion? It would be good to be able to delete them. Currently we are testing many possible role/stage assignment combination and thus there's quiet a mess with all those roles.
Yes, I meant role deletion, not stage deletion.

I've just double-checked and the role deletion code did make it into the master repository -- this is part of bug #8637. Until that's released, the best way to delete roles (other than back-porting that code) would be going to the database directly. That data is stored in the user_groups, user_group_settings, and user_user_groups tables -- find the appropriate user_group_id (e.g. by looking at the end of the "Edit" URL) and look for that value in each of those tables.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby carola » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:05 am

Thanks a lot!
carola

Return to OMP Technical Support